PDA

View Full Version : getting ready to order my mini G

Kpnobvious
09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
After getting an M1 a few years ago, I've been bitten by the bug and have been eyeing a Mini G.

A few weeks ago I picked up an HRA Field Grade at the north store. I'm going to have Shuff cut down the existing barrel and repark the whole thing. It has an OK USGI stock on it, but no stamps. I will probably sell that and replace it with a set from Dupage or DGR and finish myself.

One thing I am curious about would appreciate some feedback is whether a muzzle brake is nice to have or not.

Other than that I hope to have it mailed off by the end of October.

dogboysdad
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Nice to have? I don't know how you define nice, but it sure looks good. Tim has lots of pictures on his website. Look at them, pick out what you like, and ask Tim questions. I bet you will be very happy with whatever you choose.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Punch The Clown
09-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Bro. I would have Tim inlet the stock as he fits it to the Mini-G action. The finishing you can do yourself. The muzzle brake looks and works great, but whether to use a Smith or Standard Parts are things you have to work out with Tim. You'll love the "G".

timshufflin
09-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Smith's brake is all I use on standard g's. On drop down gas cylinder g's I can use all the bm59 brakes.

Shug
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
I have a .308 Mini-G with a Smith brake and a full-size .308 Garand (also built by Tim) without any brake. For the 155gr projectiles I use for target shooting, I really don't feel much difference in recoil between the two rifles. There probably would be more of a difference with heavier bullets and maybe 30-06 might make a difference, too. The brake does increase noise to shooters on either side of the braked rifle at the range.

Kpnobvious
09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. While the brake does look nice, i'm going to skip it.

Tim - do you do any fitting to the stock? Seems like a new dupage stock would be the best way to go.

timshufflin
09-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. While the brake does look nice, i'm going to skip it.

Tim - do you do any fitting to the stock? Seems like a new dupage stock would be the best way to go.

On a Mini-G? Yes, I fit it right to it.

dan
09-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Tim set mine up to accept a Smith Brake. If memory serves he cuts the muzzle back a tad more for the brake. I have yet to aquire one and I find no compelling reason to do so, other than appearance. I find the rifle easy to operate and recoil not any worse than a full-length Garand.

Once you get accustomed to the pumpkin-sized fire ball you will be fine.....$auto$

Kpnobvious
09-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. As soon as i can get my existing stock sold and the replacement from dupage arrives, it will be off to Tim! No muzzle brake.