PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pre-'64 Model 70!

M1orNone
09-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Can't remember if I've mentioned this here in the past or not, so here goes.

I've got bit of a problem with my project pre-'64 M70. I believe it went through a fire, way back when. I have no way to confirm that, other than the firing pin spring being collapsed. I don't know if it's collapsed due to heat, or if the rifle sat cocked for several decades, and the spring took a set.

Anyway, I suspect that it did go through a fire. Everything is there but the stock and magazine spring.

Does anyone here know of an outfit that could redo the heat treat on both the action and bolt? What would something like that cost?

I really don't want to have this old rifle end up as a wallhanger. The bore is rusted and pitted well beyond use, so I'd like to eventually rebarrel it to either .35 Whelen or .358 Norma mag.

Eli
09-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I'd scrap it, the heat will kill the temper in all the metal and it'll be dangerous. And by 'scrap' I mean cutting torch...

Eli

M1orNone
09-21-2012, 08:12 PM
That's why I'd like to try and have the tempering redone. I honestly think it's worth saving. Might be a while before I can have it all done, but it just looks too nice to junk it.