PDA

View Full Version : UTG M-14 / M1 Handguard

Dawg8452
09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Anyone used it on a Mini-G? It looks like it will be real tight around the op-rod area..

timshufflin
09-22-2012, 02:48 PM
????????????????

Dawg8452
09-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Here's the link.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&level1=M14,_M1&level2=Handguard&itemno=MNT-TM14TR&status=&mtrack=6m1

I'm hoping that the Garand and the M1are similar enough to take the hand guard. I can see that there is the side mount hole at the stock end that I'd have to have drilled/tapped, and I wouldn't be able to use the dovetail slot rail. When I looked at the instructions all the clips looked like it would not interfere with the op rod. Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

timshufflin
09-22-2012, 04:32 PM
1. Isn't the M14 rear guard longer than the Garands?
2. On a G, there is very little room between the barrel and oprod, the oprod may or may not be fitted by milling the rod, the mounting brackets, or both.

Dawg8452
09-22-2012, 04:58 PM
For #1 I don't know, I never considered that there would be a length difference. As for #2, that was my concern. I think that I've read here that you guys have the same issue with the Ultimak rail.

I'm considering ordering one and seeing if I can mount it. If it will fit do you see any issues that I might run into with drilling and tapping the side of the receiver for the thumb screw? I'm just completely unfamiliar with the M-14, and don't know what is different with the internals of the two rifles. Also, can the steel be drilled/tapped? I think that the receiver is heat treated.

timshufflin
09-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Any issues with drilling and tapping the receiver? Yes there will be, it's as hard as the dickens, 55 Rockwell plus or minus. You'll need, at the very least, a carbide center drill followed up by a good drill once you get through the case.

axemurderer
09-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Dawg

The guard is way to long for a garand. I doubt you could make this work. I am having an M14 type guard made for my Mag-G, amd it has been back to Tony at LAW483 twice already, and that just to modify a standard M14 guard. But if you want to try who am I to say no!

Mike

For #1 I don't know, I never considered that there would be a length difference. As for #2, that was my concern. I think that I've read here that you guys have the same issue with the Ultimak rail.

I'm considering ordering one and seeing if I can mount it. If it will fit do you see any issues that I might run into with drilling and tapping the side of the receiver for the thumb screw? I'm just completely unfamiliar with the M-14, and don't know what is different with the internals of the two rifles. Also, can the steel be drilled/tapped? I think that the receiver is heat treated.

Dawg8452
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Or a good gunsmith. It'll take a few weeks to get one on order and then try the fit. I'll post what happens.

Dawg8452
09-22-2012, 05:09 PM
@Axemurderer, just saw your post, watching football and was distracted. Thanks for the info!