PDA

View Full Version : What Can I Get For $85K ?

musketjon
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
As most of you know, last April my wife of 26 years walked out on the marriage. California is a community-property state which means I'm entitled to 50% of everything she owns, and vice versa. I personally don't own any thing worth mentioning, the house is upside-down on the loan so it's a non-issue. What IS at issue is her retirement account. I stand to get about $85K out of it. I've been in the PRK for 57 out of 57 years and can't wait to get the Hell out of it. The best thing will be when I see it in my rear-view mirror. I won't be back. My lady friend is ready to leave the state as well. My question to ALL OF YOU is: What can I buy where, for $85K, give-or-take? It doesn't have to be a mansion. Just comfortable. We don't have any place set in stone. We're open to any and all suggestions. Please help out a fellow BT'er with your observations and comments. By the way, I'm as serious as a heart attack. I'm not doing this for an exercise in typing.
Thanks guys.
Jon

dpd3672
09-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Take your pick, the real estate market is full of bargains at the moment, with houses selling for half of what they did during the peak about 5-6 years go.

If you don't mind a fixer upper, you can probably find lots of homes that were selling for $500k or more a few years back.

dogboysdad
09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
You won't get $85K. Her account will be divided by court order. This will create a separate account for you. You can withdraw money from that account, but only under certain terms and conditions. Cashing out the account will likely be a taxable event. Discuss this with a tax preparer our your attorney.

dogboysdad
09-26-2012, 06:15 AM
And assuming you get at least $50K, you can purchase the entire town of Roundup Montana.

timshufflin
09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
And assuming you get at least $50K, you can purchase the entire town of Roundup Montana.

Not so fast, Stu and I had just prepared an offer for Roundup! We had been gathering cans for a week to throw this thing together and now you'll tell others about it just like that? For shame!

Jon, North or South Dakota will be lovely for you. Lots of jobs, rent is high but property/homes are cheap. Lots of stuff to kill. In particular, they need machinist types like YOU.

canes7
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Jon - You are free to move anywhere. Use a bit of imagination and really think about what you want. Don't limit your thoughts to just gun-friendly states, think about climate, geography and anything else that's important to you. Have you ever been to the east coast? Montana? Alaska? Maybe visiting a few places will open things up a bit for you.

Good luck and enjoy this opportunity!

timshufflin
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
The Dakota's;
State income tax, what's that?
Gun laws, what's that?
Unemployment, what's that?
Crappy Climate, in my opinion
Hot chicks, maybe not
Stuff to kill, everywhere
unions, what are those? Because of this, there is a state that has all the rest.

REHRIFLE
09-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Move to a small town in Central Texas. You will be close to a lot of hunting and fishing areas.

Prince Humperdink
09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Jon,
I would never consider Roundup,Mt.Billings is the largest City in Montana,and would have anything You need,and We have no state sales tax,pro gun laws,Lots of places to hunt and Fish and Our Women are hot(but I see You don't need that option),and the number 1 reason....We are not the Dakotas!

LEAD POISON
09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
John you can also get CHEAP tattoo's in Roundup.

dogboysdad
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
The Prince actually tattooed the entire town of Roundup one night after his bowling league let out. Took him almost an hour.

Punch The Clown
09-26-2012, 10:49 PM

I thought we decided against Roundup and decided to buy Port Clinton? Remember, we were going to make it into another Jersey Shore?

mixmaster
09-27-2012, 02:29 AM
San Antonio Texas. Lived in Cal and can't get over the tremendous change in life style here in Texas. Most of the PCs from Cal are in Austen Texas Taking advantage of the real estate from the sale of their homes in Cal.
Mix

timshufflin
09-27-2012, 07:36 AM
San Antonio Texas. Lived in Cal and can't get over the tremendous change in life style here in Texas. Most of the PCs from Cal are in Austen Texas Taking advantage of the real estate from the sale of their homes in Cal.
Mix

Okay, this will rub all you Cowboys the wrong way but here goes. First, I really like Texas from the standpoint of what it represents, you know, freedom and that means economic as well as personal freedoms. This being said, I HATE Texas. I wouldn't live in that sh!thole for less than $400,000 a year. Texas is hot, many parts are humid (San Antonio), it is dry, it is brown, it is a sh!thole.

Despite all this, Texas is a BOOMING! Economic freedom can work wonders, even in a sh!thole.

REHRIFLE
09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Tim, that certainly doesn't rub me the wrong way. The last thing Texans want is for Michiganderans to move down. The more false representation there is, the less migration there is. Thanks for your support.

axemurderer
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I am still waiting for Texas to secede, when that happens I am there!!!!!!

Mike

timshufflin
09-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Tim, that certainly doesn't rub me the wrong way. The last thing Texans want is for Michiganderans to move down. The more false representation there is, the less migration there is. Thanks for your support.

Hey now, I want to like Texas, I really do, it's just a sh!thole though. Hot, hot, hot, humid, arid, dusty, brown, sh!thole. There's a reason that only folks who grow up there like it, they don't know what a beautiful environment is supposed to look like.

This all said, for beauty, I like Colorado.

Eli
09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I am still waiting for Texas to secede, when that happens I am there!!!!!!
Hell, I'm praying for it!

Hey now, I want to like Texas, I really do, it's just a sh!thole though. Hot, hot, hot, humid, arid, dusty, brown, sh!thole. There's a reason that only folks who grow up there like it, they don't know what a beautiful environment is supposed to look like.
Were you here during last year's drought?

Eli

timshufflin
09-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Hell, I'm praying for it!

Were you here during last year's drought?

Eli

No, I've been there on 6 different occasions though in the last 8 years. Every time I go, it seems like a drought. The driest, hottest, nastiest Michigan weather is better than a good year in Texas.

musketjon
09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry, the GF says Texas is OUT ! ! ! ! !
Jon

cannonshooter
09-29-2012, 08:03 PM
We just bought a 1680 sq foot home in Pa for 69,900 in the foot hills of the blue mountains. Cabela's is 15 min away and the rifle range I joined is 10 min away and is only 20 dollars a year and they have 192 acres. Concealed carry is $25 a year and PA is a shall issue state and also a class 3 state.
Mack

toolman
09-30-2012, 02:52 PM
No, I've been there on 6 different occasions though in the last 8 years. Every time I go, it seems like a drought. The driest, hottest, nastiest Michigan weather is better than a good year in Texas.

Colorado isnt brown,dry,and in a drought???? HMM my brother as lived there for 20 years. Colorado sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timshufflin
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Some of Colorado does suck Toolman BUT a bunch is also damn nice.

txarsoncop
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Okay, this will rub all you Cowboys the wrong way but here goes. First, I really like Texas from the standpoint of what it represents, you know, freedom and that means economic as well as personal freedoms. This being said, I HATE Texas. I wouldn't live in that sh!thole for less than $400,000 a year. Texas is hot, many parts are humid (San Antonio), it is dry, it is brown, it is a sh!thole.

Despite all this, Texas is a BOOMING! Economic freedom can work wonders, even in a sh!thole.

Tim, you've forgotten all about that nasty, muddy creek that San Antonio likes to call a river. You out-of-towners seem to love to eat next to it though and then go for a stroll along its banks while gang members try to piss on you from bridges. Welcome to San Antonio!!!!! $vomit$

Don't know if I'd live anywhere else but Texas as long as it's not in a city.

bill

addison01
02-01-2013, 07:24 AM
Hi, I read your all comments and I found many things for learning, Actually I have heard that the real estate business is good because the lost chances are very less in this business than the stock business and forex business.

Eastcoast Homes (http://www.eastcoasthomes.com.au/)

Punch The Clown
02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIVktlpOT8

cuppednlocked
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Addison1 is funny...

KnickKnack
02-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I've been scoping out Tennessee. Seems like you can get a descent house there for less than $150K. Do you want to take out a mortgage?

KnickKnack
02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Also, I like the Northeastern rural part of Texas, up closer to Arkansas. Not sure about Pennsylvania. Although the parts of it that are away from the cities are beautiful, it still gets too much snow for me.

deputy85
02-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Sorry, the GF says Texas is OUT ! ! ! ! !
Jon

This is old news i just ran across it but'' the girl friend says texas is out? wow a girlfriend ? you sir have already lost control,, better tighten up the choke collar

NE450No2
09-18-2013, 02:04 AM
I know the GF said Texas is out but still take a look at East Texas, say 100 miles or so around Tyler.

I do not know what kind of job you need, but if I was to move from Texas I would go to Northwest Montana, around Libby or Troy, or to Idaho around Elk City.

But I am Retired.

ttwn0324
09-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, there was (and still are) some Islands off the coast of Florida you could have bought. That was before Faith Hill & her husband bought one and all there friends then followed. There is a butt load in and around the French Polynesia/Fiji area.

Old Guard
09-19-2013, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=txarsoncop;28800]Tim, you've forgotten all about that nasty, muddy creek that San Antonio likes to call a river. You out-of-towners seem to love to eat next to it though and then go for a stroll along its banks while gang members try to piss on you from bridges. Welcome to San Antonio!!!!! $vomit$

Don't know if I'd live anywhere else but Texas as long as it's not in a city.Quote
It seems to be the same in San Antonio as it was in 1968??? My frist city to wake up in and hear of Daily drive-by shootings? Plus that Da-n river stank...