PDA

View Full Version : Duck hunting.

M1orNone
09-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Opening day was outstanding! Birds everywhere. Humbled myself quite a bit. Wingshooting is harder than I thought. Didn't get too many birds, but I still had a lot of fun.

Hunted Warms Springs Wildlife Management Area, just outside Anaconda, MT.

Managed to get one Canada goose, a Coot, and a Redhead. The ol' '97 did good. My right shoulder is several shades of purple and green.;)

cuppednlocked
09-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Very nice. Have you eaten coot before?

Prince Humperdink
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I can't go yet as I don't have enough funds for Duck stamps,but it is really dry and last Years"puddles"that I hunted are long gone!Good job buddy,enjoy your coot ;)

timshufflin
09-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Beautiful photo's, could look at them all day.

deputy85
09-30-2012, 07:45 PM
I havent hunted duck since the late 60s early 70s, but from the look of the county lake and the tremendous amount of geese and ducks of all flavors there ,it outa be a good duck /geese season 60 miles south of me at the wildlife area where hunting is allowed,,

M1orNone
09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Very nice. Have you eaten coot before?

There's a loaded question if I ever saw one! LOL!;) Ate some duck once, years ago, and never had the chance to try any goose or coot. The coot was actually a waste. It came in about 4 feet off the water, like a little black kamikaze. Wasn't 15 feet from the muzzle by the time I saw it, and got the shotgun to my shoulder. Only thing left of it is what you see in the pics. Back feathers, wings, and feet. The rest is, I guess, still airborne somewhere over the pond.

cuppednlocked
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
There's a loaded question if I ever saw one! LOL!;)

If this was the War Room it would be on like Donkey Kong!!!

Funny thing about Coots... you never see them migrating like ducks/geese/etc. They just show up. I think they take the bus South.

M1orNone
10-02-2012, 01:29 AM
If this was the War Room it would be on like Donkey Kong!!!

Funny thing about Coots... you never see them migrating like ducks/geese/etc. They just show up. I think they take the bus South.

There must have been 20,000 Coots in one group, on the pond we hunted. The surface was just saturated with them. I've never seen so many birds on one group before. I assume they're fairly smart animals. We'd get maybe 100 yards from the pond, and they'd all head for the middle, well out of shotgun range. All the shooting we did didn't seem to scare them off at all. The ducks and geese kept gaining altitude, but the coots just sat there like nothing. Never seen anything like it.

REHRIFLE
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I've had coots swim around the decoys and not be spooked. They are smart enough to know they taste like $hit and no-one wants to kill them, much less eat them.

cuppednlocked
10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
I certainly wouldn't call coots smart, blissfully unaware maybe. I think they're too dumb to know any better!

I bet our resident cajun has eaten coot before. Those coon-asses actually like them (puldo)!

Prince Humperdink
10-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I've had coots swim around the decoys and not be spooked. They are smart enough to know they taste like $hit and no-one wants to kill them, much less eat them.

My thoughts exactly!They are pretty Birds in their weird way though.