PDA

View Full Version : I hate a damn tick...

cuppednlocked
05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Got back from the ER at 1 am last night. Have had a bunch of ticks on me this turkey season. Have been using 40% DEET pretty heavily after finding the first few ticks.

Yesterday I woke up sore all over and my knees joints were hurting. Didn't think much of it other than it was odd. As the day continued (IDPA match) my right knee got worse and I had even less energy.

At dinner my wife convinced me to go to the ER since the doc in the box places weren't open. Knew early treatment is important for the antibiotics to work. Figured it was a tick borne disease and I needed some meds.

Since I wasn't a priority case I had to wait to get blood drawn, but eventually they got to me. Had some super iv ibuprofin for the joint pain and some fluids. DR wasn't too concerned about RSMF or Lyme's but more likely one of the other tick borne diseases. Have a scrip for doxycyclene or something like that.

One damn little bug just spent a bunch of money and killed a lot of my time!!!

On a side note I shot pretty well at the match... will try to post the videos from the gopro.

LEAD POISON
05-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm kinda alergic to those little SOB's
Wood ticks give me a lump for a month or better.
Didn't find any this season.???$auto$

Prince Humperdink
05-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry You had to go through that because of a dirty pos.Hope You are fully recovered soon.
R

REHRIFLE
05-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad tic luck. Is the Doc running tests to positively rule out lyme desease? That's some bad stuff!!

:eek:

canes7
05-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow.. That sucks bigtime.... a friend of mine got RMSF from a tick bite last summer. It was pretty nasty.

Just to make a point though, there are less ticks on rifle ranges than in turkey country! :)

cuppednlocked
05-16-2011, 12:37 PM
The ER doc said I should finish the 10 day cycle of antibiotics and continue to watch for any signs/symptoms. If it was Lyme's or RMSF the meds should take care of it completely.

The first dose of antibiotics they pushed through the IV already knocked down the welt on my thigh and the joint pain is gone. I'm still tired but not nearly as much as yesterday.

Dan, you're right of course... but the SR targets don't gobble!!!

After IDPA my friend (who also shoots Garands with me) had his .22 S&W15. We took it to the 100yd rimfire range and shot some offhand at a gong. LOVE the instant feedback when you hit it. I'd guess the gong was less than 18"x18". It looked slightly bigger than the black over the front sight post on the SR/SR-1. I'd like to go back and do that more for the standing practice.

Cal30M1
05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
They should have never banned DDT!

timshufflin
05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
RMSF, what is it?

canes7
05-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever

Schriv
05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been treating all of my WWII reenactment/airsoft uniforms with Permithrin. I spend a lot of time crawling around in the woods and haven't had a tick on me in several years. Works great for mosquito's too.
It sure beats having to smear DEET all over your body and getting on things that will melt from coming in contact with it. The stuff lasts through 6 wash cycles, so it doesn't have to be done every time you go out.

timshufflin
05-17-2011, 04:40 AM
I've been treating all of my WWII reenactment/airsoft uniforms with Permithrin. I spend a lot of time crawling around in the woods and haven't had a tick on me in several years. Works great for mosquito's too.
It sure beats having to smear DEET all over your body and getting on things that will melt from coming in contact with it. The stuff lasts through 6 wash cycles, so it doesn't have to be done every time you go out.

I use the same stuff, it's expensive but man is it great stuff.

cuppednlocked
05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
The studies I've read that have been done show, when applied correctly, that a tick will die within walking several inches across Permethrin coated fabric.

I've been looking for the stuff but can't find it in any of the stores locally.

REHRIFLE
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Permethrin. Something that strong,can't be good for you long term. IMO :)

canes7
05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Permethrin. Something that strong,can't be good for you long term. IMO :)

I thought the same thing... but ticks are not that good for you either...

Schriv
05-17-2011, 07:02 PM
You treat clothing and equipment with it. After it dries, it's not dangerous to you. I even treat a pair of GI boxers to wear over my regular undies just in case something manages to get through the clothing. :) I do not want any of the little bastards anywhere near my junk.
As for expensive...yes, but definitely worth every penny. It can be found in the camping secion of Dicks Sporting Goods or ordered online. The pump/spray bottles will do several complete outfits.

Dave
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
You treat clothing and equipment with it. After it dries, it's not dangerous to you. I even treat a pair of GI boxers to wear over my regular undies just in case something manages to get through the clothing. :) I do not want any of the little bastards anywhere near my junk.
As for expensive...yes, but definitely worth every penny. It can be found in the camping secion of Dicks Sporting Goods or ordered online. The pump/spray bottles will do several complete outfits.

Interesting. I've never heard of it. Guess I'll check it out and maybe try it. Damn ticks around here are ridiculous. Just walk outside and they fall out of the trees and chit.

Schriv
05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
This is what I have been using:

http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

The military grade Permithrin packs that you put into the washer with your uniforms used to pop up on ebay pretty regularly, but they haven't shown up in quite a while. Those were awesome.
You CAN get the 38% industrial mix on there, but it is meant for hardcore pesticide use and not for clothing.

cuppednlocked
05-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Schriv,

I was out today and stopped by Dick's by chance and found the same stuff by Sawyer. If it keeps those little bastards off me I'd pay more than $16 for sure!

If the rain stops tomorrow I'll lay out all my hunting clothes I'm taking next week and spraying away.

Schriv
05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Don't forget to do your socks. I always blouse my boots, but I want a couple more inches of instant insect death under the trousers to make double damn sure they don't climb up any higher.

cuppednlocked
05-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Do the socks even if I'm wearing rubber boots?

How far are you from Ft. Riley? We'll be in the general area next week.

Schriv
05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I do my boot socks as just another part of the uniform. I worry as much about chiggers as I do ticks.
Anyhow..I'm about two hours east of FT. Riley.

cuppednlocked
05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
10-4. Too far away to meet you unfortunately. Our schedule is pretty much turkey hunting and not much socializing.