View Full Version : Just thinking out loud.

M1orNone
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
find myself in need of another .45-70. Haven't had one in a few years now, since I basically gave away my Buffalo Classic.

Anyway....

I'd love nothing more than to build up one based on the Siamese Mauser action. The problem there is the insane prices they are going for now.

Here's my out-loud thought.

Why not pick up a dirt-cheap Mosin Nagant, and have it rebarreled? The barrel wouldn't be an issue. I think you can still get .45-caliber barrel blanks cheap from Numrich, and I could do the chambering and threading myself, on my friend's big Jet lathe.

The bolt on the Mosin is already set up for a rimmed cartridge, much like the Siamese Mauser, so I don't think it would take much work to get the rim of the .45-70 to fit correctly. The Mosin is a strong action. The big issue might be the magazine, but who knows?

Again, I'm just thinking out loud on this one.

Opinions?

canes7
10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
There are lever actions being made in .45-70. An acquaintance has one, I think it's a Marlin, we affectionally call it the "Bear Gun".

melloman
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I was looking at a used Marlin lever action Guide Gun in .45-70 last week. Looks like I would get tired of shooting it - how much recoil could one expect in that platform - is it nasty? I'm not a baby but I don't like heavy recoil as it's not fun.

Prince Humperdink
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I was looking at a used Marlin lever action Guide Gun in .45-70 last week. Looks like I would get tired of shooting it - how much recoil could one expect in that platform - is it nasty? I'm not a baby but I don't like heavy recoil as it's not fun.

I shot one several years ago.That was enough for Me.

canes7
10-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Those rifles have a pretty stout recoil. I'd rate it just less than my .30-40 Krag shooting 220's. It's not a rifle you take out all the thime and shoot 100 or so rounds thru. It's probably 20 per shooting session at best.

melloman
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Those rifles have a pretty stout recoil. I'd rate it just less than my .30-40 Krag shooting 220's. It's not a rifle you take out all the thime and shoot 100 or so rounds thru. It's probably 20 per shooting session at best.
That's what my impression was. I'll pass.

Eli
10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
.45-70 won't fit in the M-N magazine - I've tried it.
There was a guy converting Tokarev rifles to .45-70, but the rifles alone are over $500 now so it's rather price-prohibitive.
Supposedly you can convert a 71/84 Mauser, but I haven't seen one in person.
There have also been Enfield conversions.

Eli

M1orNone
10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
.45-70 won't fit in the M-N magazine - I've tried it.
There was a guy converting Tokarev rifles to .45-70, but the rifles alone are over $500 now so it's rather price-prohibitive.
Supposedly you can convert a 71/84 Mauser, but I haven't seen one in person.
There have also been Enfield conversions.

Eli

From what I can find, they'll fit, but you have to cut portions of the magazine out on the sides. Takes a little work to make it work. Just mulling over something for a winter project.

Eli
10-10-2012, 10:50 PM
From what I can find, they'll fit, but you have to cut portions of the magazine out on the sides. Takes a little work to make it work. Just mulling over something for a winter project.

You could possibly mill out the mag well.
The Finns - or somebody in that area of the world - supposedly designed an 11MM (0.45") cartridge for use in the M-N rifles, necked-up 7.62X54R, but that does defeat your purpose a bit.

Eli