PDA

View Full Version : Loose stock

redheep
10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Trying to figure out if I have a lock up issue or something else going on. The trigger guard locks up nice and tight. Sometimes it's a pain to get unlocked, but the receiver moves side to side in the stock, maybe a 1/8 of an inch or so (total, +- 1/16). You can see it down on the barrel end at the stock ferrule too.

This is on the FG I just bought and refinished. It's a USGI walnut stock. Do you guys think I have a problem with the receiver section of the stock being too big or will a tighter lock up stop it from moving?

cuppednlocked
10-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Side to side sounds bad. I know fore and aft movement is not good for accuracy.

jak
10-13-2012, 12:07 PM
How does the rifle lock up in a different stock ?

redheep
10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
How does the rifle lock up in a different stock ?

Good question. I'll put it in my HRA's stock and see.

Orlando
10-13-2012, 07:36 PM
With the action setting in the stock without the trigger group installed there should be no fore and aft or side to side movement of the action
Even with tight lock up of trigger guard the action will move in the stock when fired if stock wasnt properly routed . Only thing you can do is glass bed the stock
If accuracy is acceptable leave it as is

redheep
10-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I haven't fired it yet. I've been waiting for all my parts to come in. I'm not terribly attached to the stock, it was just one that came with the rifle I wanted. I'm having it refinished anyways, so if this one is screwed, I'll just put it in another one.

Something just isn't right with it. The barrel moves around at the end where the ferrule is. Maybe the whole thing is just worn out.

With the action setting in the stock without the trigger group installed there should be no fore and aft or side to side movement of the action
Even with tight lock up of trigger guard the action will move in the stock when fired if stock wasnt properly routed . Only thing you can do is glass bed the stock
If accuracy is acceptable leave it as is

redheep
10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I just stuck the receiver in my SG stock and it was a much better fit. There's definately some lock up issues with the FG stock. I can move the trigger housing forward and backward about an 1/8 of an inch. When I looked at them side by side, you could see how the stock was worn both on the top and the bottom. It's way more beat up than the stock I got with my HRA.

Maybe I'll pick up a used one or just buy a stock set new.

Dave
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Get rid of it. Wood is plentiful. :)

mac9990
10-14-2012, 02:46 AM
You can add thin strips of walnut to the stock, either under the receiver, or where the trigger assembly floorplate contacts the stock. Thin magnetic sheet material works also. That stock didn't look that bad, but then I like the worn look.

Orlando
10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
You can add thin strips of walnut to the stock, either under the receiver, or where the trigger assembly floorplate contacts the stock. Thin magnetic sheet material works also. That stock didn't look that bad, but then I like the worn look.

Lock up isnt the problem, its side to side play in the stock, only way to 100% fix it is bed the stock

redheep
10-14-2012, 10:35 AM

I'm going to try this. I may have exaggerated the side to side movement. It doesn't appear to be moving at the receiver end, just at the barrel end. I might be able to repair it so that it mostly goes away.

I like the worn look too, that's why I spent so much time refinishing. Hopefully I can do just a little bit to get a tighter fit without having to bed it.

Orlando
10-14-2012, 10:50 AM
OK, something makes no sense.
Do you really have tight lock up like you said? (maybe I missunderstood) When you start to close the trigger gaurd you should feel fairly hard resistance as the end/tip of the guard is atleast 1/2 inch from closing. Tight lockup "is not" how hard the end /tip of the gaurd goes into the housing
If you do already have tight lockup adding material to the trigger housing area will not help your issue

Try this, remove the trigger group, leave action in stock, set stock/action in your lap. With one hand hold the stock with the other grab the barrel and pull towards fore and aft (forwards and backwards) Any movement? if so stock is worn.
Yes the barrel will move slightly right to left even on a tight fitting stock as it will flex
Pull right and left, if receiver is loose stock is worn. Again the only fix is bedding or live with it.
For the fore and aft movement you can glue thin walnut veneer on the area inside the stock towards the rear where the reciever legs rest
If you decide you want to glue in some walnut veneer PM me with name and address and I will send you some

PS, I would not try and add veneer under the receiver heel,a better way would be to bed , you can get some JB Weld. I have done this as well to under the trigger assembly area. Use several coats of car wax on the trigger assembly area where it would rest on the stock and under the receiver so it doesnt stick to the JB.
You will need to clean the dirt BlO etc from the stock or the JB wont stick. Also helps to rough up the area

redheep
10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I just stuck the receiver in my SG stock and it was a much better fit. There's definately some lock up issues with the FG stock. I can move the trigger housing forward and backward about an 1/8 of an inch.

This is what I said last night. It wasn't nearly as tight as I thought it was. When I stuck it in my other stock there was a noticeable difference.

OK, something makes no sense.
Do you really have tight lock up like you said? (maybe I missunderstood) When you start to close the trigger gaurd you should feel fairly hard resistance as the end/tip of the guard is atleast 1/2 inch from closing. Tight lockup "is not" how hard the end /tip of the gaurd goes into the housing
If you do already have tight lockup adding material to the trigger housing area will not help your issue

Try this, remove the trigger group, leave action in stock, set stock/action in your lap. With one hand hold the stock with the other grab the barrel and pull towards fore and aft (forwards and backwards) Any movement? if so stock is worn.
Yes the barrel will move slightly right to left even on a tight fitting stock as it will flex
Pull right and left, if receiver is loose stock is worn. Again the only fix is bedding or live with it.
For the fore and aft movement you can glue thin walnut veneer on the area inside the stock towards the rear where the reciever legs rest
If you decide you want to glue in some walnut veneer PM me with name and address and I will send you some

PS, I would not try and add veneer under the receiver heel,a better way would be to bed , you can get some JB Weld. I have done this as well to under the trigger assembly area. Use several coats of car wax on the trigger assembly area where it would rest on the stock and under the receiver so it doesnt stick to the JB.
You will need to clean the dirt BlO etc from the stock or the JB wont stick. Also helps to rough up the area

Ok, here's what I know. I just did a bunch of parts swapping.

The FG springfield stock mounted to my HRA locks up good with no movement. I did it with the HRA's trigger assy and with the Springfields. The springfield is a touch looser, but still locks up. No side to side and no fore/aft movement. A touch more movement at the barrel end, but no big deal.

The HRA stock mounted to my springfield is just as loose as the FG stock. Some side to side and fore/aft movement. A click if you will. Tried it with both trigger assy's.

The HRA stock on my HRA has always been tight. That stock was like brand new when I picked it out at the NS. When I used the FG trigger assy, the lockup was a little looser, but still good.

Can my 6 digit receiver be too small? Both stocks fit loose on it, with different trigger housings. On my HRA, there's a nice wood vs metal sound when I slide the stocks on it, but on my springfield it's much looser, there's no noise. It's like taking out the school slut instead of the nerdy virgin.

I know bedding it will fix it, but I've never done it and I'm not sure that I want to. Maybe since I'm sending it up north to get parkerized I should just spring for a new stock set and go full resto.

Sorry about being misleading Orlando. Sometimes I'm posting while I'm trying to get the new baby to go to sleep and I get a little delirious.

Orlando
10-14-2012, 05:33 PM
OK, like I said before with movement of action in the stock no amount of lock up (shimming trigger assembly or reciver heel) is going to help
I would shoot it in stock and if you are happy with accuracy leave it as is (with fore and aft movement you will probably have fliers)
Or
Trash it and buy a new commercial stock
I would go this route. Dont forget to post pics after your project is completed

redheep
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
OK, like I said before with movement of action in the stock no amount of lock up (shimming trigger assembly or reciver heel) is going to help
I would shoot it in stock and if you are happy with accuracy leave it as is (with fore and aft movement you will probably have fliers)
Or
Trash it and buy a new commercial stock
I would go this route. Dont forget to post pics after your project is completed

It does it in both stocks. Not just the beat up one that came with it.

I'll figure it out.

jak
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Can my 6 digit receiver be too small? Both stocks fit loose on it, with different trigger housings

I can't figure out why the 6 digit receiver would be smaller. If that happened to me I would get a caliper and start measuring both receivers and comparing the measurements.

Orlando
10-15-2012, 06:48 AM
I would say both stocks are compressed
I have a Correct Grade that "looks" new and action will slide fore and aft

Roadkingtrax
10-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I have noticed of late, that with any given stock.

A post war receiver seems to exhibit better lock up, when all other components are the same. I think maybe the notches for the trigger housing to engage are perhaps a couple thou' higher. I have not mic'd the receivers to test this theory yet. Just my installation observations.

redheep
10-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Ok, I'm throwing the towel in on this one. My milled sling ferrule, trigger guard and new buttplate showed up and the fit is horrible. This stock is seriously worn, not just on the receiver fitting, but all over.

I'm going to put it in a new stock set. Are there recommendations of one over the other? I know a lot of them come from boyd's. A little extra cash is ok if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Cliffnotes: What new stock set would you buy?

Orlando
10-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I get mine from Dupage Trading, same stocks CMP seliing but cheaper and you dont have the hidious big CMP stamp on the side
Dupage has unfinshed stock for $100 and finished/stained stocks for $10 more
I always get the unfinished as I like to do my own finish and do some accuracy mods to them anyways. Just saves me $10 and the time of stripping the stock

redheep
10-28-2012, 02:46 PM
That's where I was looking. I just got my other parts from him.

redheep
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Man, how time flies.

After liberal amounts of oil and hopes and prayers, I finally gave the original FG stock it's last rites. Ordered up a Dupage stock set, checked the fit and gave it a final sanding and some tung oil this weekend. Very impressed with the stock. Feels much better in the hand and the lockup and side to side fit is really tight. The front handguard doesn't match very well, there's a lot of end grain, but it's going to Shuff's in two weeks to take care of that pesky extra barrel length problem. :D

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa331/redheep/D7C0F1FE-00E3-4A6B-AF0D-9D4D84E07F15-5420-00000CE9562E36AC.jpg

cuppednlocked
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Looks good to me, even if it's a little longer than it needs to be!