PDA

View Full Version : Parts to Stock

HerkyBird
10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
For using a Garand (or in my case, a Mini G) as a SHTF rifle, what parts do y'all recommend stocking up on. I'll have Tim bend another op rod, and I'll get a couple of extra op rod springs, but the rest are interchangeable with full-sized Garands, that's why I ask the question here.

timshufflin
10-16-2012, 10:36 PM
"A" list

extractor and spring/plunger
ejector/spring
firing pin
oprod spring
clip latch spring

"B" list

follower rod
follower arm
bullet guide

GarandGrabber
10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
As expected..Shuff looked into my range box! :)

dan
10-17-2012, 10:42 PM
In my NRA Highpower experience I have seen broken extractors and a broken firing pin.

The broken firing pin was in my rifle. It failed early in prone slow fire. I retired from the line, stripped the rifle and removed the bolt, disassembled the bolt, replaced the firing pin and returned to the line to complete the string before time expired.

My range box has a firing pin, extractor, extractor spring, ejector assy and an op-rod spring. I think there is a stray clip latch as well.

Back at the ranch there is enough laying around to assemble a couple complete rifles.

After experiencing that broken pin I can say that it is downright dangerous to shoot a rifle with a full-round pin. If I had had a full-round pin the rifle would have almost certainly slamfired and I would have been out a rifle and perhaps some of my own parts.

HerkyBird
10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
And where would you gentlemen suggest purchasing said parts?

timshufflin
10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Numrich, Sarco, Garand Guy