PDA

View Full Version : How often do you strip your old lady?

HerkyBird
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
And by old lady, I mean your M1. How often do you guys take your cleaning beyond the chamber and bore and or even a field strip, and take her down to the detail stripping? I've had my Garand for a few years, but I'm just now getting to where I use her on a regular basis. Anyone know what our fine GIs did in the field for regular cleaning/maintenance as they were slogging their way across Europe or hopping islands in the Pacific?

canes7
10-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I clean the bore and chamber every time I fire it. The rest only gets done every year or two, or until there is a problem.

cuppednlocked
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Once a year out of the stock.

luvmym1 13
10-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Once a year for me

Orlando
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Yupsame for me. Clean the bore after every trip to the range, wipe down exterior with oily rag, replace grease as needed.
Once a year do a total tear down ,clean and relube.

13Fox
10-28-2012, 01:12 AM
The regimen these fine men use is the same that I do. I am lucky if I make it a yearly occurrence past the bore.

dan
10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
From an accuracy standpoint it is not advisable to remove the stock unless really necessary. It takes several rounds to get a reassembled rifle to settle in after being taken down that far. I never take my bedded match rifles apart unless I have a functional failure or on annual cleanup and regreasing at the end of the match season. I clean the bores after every firing session.