PDA

View Full Version : Does HXP cause guns to explode?

Roadkingtrax
10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I got involved in a discussion, and as usual this guy named John Kepler...got snippy.

Never heard so many widespread problems with HXP before....hmmmm

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?33396-Good-Grief!-My-club-just-banned-CMP-HXP!

I think the case being made for the mild steel jacket somehow busting up the skid-plate is questionable at best. Having hot loads doing so is more believable, and that is something HXP has a well deserved rep for producing, so I don't think there's a slam-dunk in either direction. Yes, arbitrarily banning HXP because SOMETHING is busting up the skid-plate is about what you can expect from your average Range-Nazi (that MIGHT be an occasional pistol shooter or Small Bored Puke, but rarely if ever a Highpower shooter!). But SOMETHING is causing a problem that requires an effective solution.

For those that think HXP is just wonderful, you can thank me.....I made sure that I wouldn't be buying any thereby preventing you from getting all you wanted. As for having "experienced no malfunctions of any kind in several thousand rounds" means nothing.....even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while! I was around more rounds of the crap (the most correct, most accurately descriptive term BTW) being fired per relay than you've shot....and there were 8 Relays and 2-3 years of having to use the crap. I SAW/HAD hang-fires, squibs, duds, case separations due to massive over-pressures, busted op-rods due to same as well as a fractured receiver, velocity variations that were noticeable to both the shooter and the target, and nearly every competitor in the Springfield Match having to hammer bolts open on most shots...something that has NEVER happened with any ammo other than HXP! So you just keep telling me how wonderful that crap is in spite of all the experience to the contrary! Bearing also in mind that this unrectified crap was being issued at what was supposed to be a National Marksmanship competition!

timshufflin
10-23-2012, 10:14 PM
RKT, I shoot a lot of ammo in my business. I guess I average about 20 rounds a day of HXP which might not be a ton by some HP shooter standards. Anyways, I shoot about 7000 rounds of 30/06 a year and have been doing so for about 5 years. Of the 7000 rounds I'll bet that about 5000 rounds are HXP. There was a time about 3 years ago when I got into some crappy HXP. The problems I was having were hang fires and I think I may have had about 3 instances of this issue.

I never had any other problems with HXP that I recall. I once had a dud but can't even remember when that was. Anyways, 3 hang fires and 1 dud in about 30,000 rounds, is that bad? I don't know how bad that is but I don't consider it terrible. I have not ever felt any "extra powered" loads but all HXP I've fired is "extra powered" over crappy LC. LC is the ammo that I despise, I'll be fully 10% of the Garands out there won't even run on LC.

I did not see where a gun exploded in your link. I did see reference to cracked heels but I really don't know how anyone can prove what caused a receiver to crack, ultimately all receiver heels will crack.

Roadkingtrax
10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I did not see where a gun exploded in your link. I did see reference to cracked heels but I really don't know how anyone can prove what caused a receiver to crack, ultimately all receiver heels will crack.

I appreciate your insight, but there is really no arguing with this guy... I can only needle him with that same argument.

You're correct about the rifle. My subject line was poorly chosen...an attempt to mirror the melodramatic tendencies being displayed on that discussion. Sorry if that was in any way misleading.

timshufflin
10-23-2012, 10:19 PM
there is really no arguing with this guy... I can only needle him with that same argument.

And, when the receiver heel does crack, just weld it. This isn't a friggin shuttle launch.

Orlando
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
He also stated that CMP has been out of HXP for several years. Not sure what his agenda is

cuppednlocked
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I wonder what his thought is on lapping a Garand bolt?

HerkyBird
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
He also stated that CMP has been out of HXP for several years. Not sure what his agenda is

Interesting...Considering I bought some 3 weeks ago. The guy is obviously a troll.

Prince Humperdink
10-24-2012, 05:30 PM
I wonder what his thought is on lapping a Garand bolt?

If I would have had coffee in my mouth I surely would have spit it,perhaps even through My nose?!!

Roadkingtrax
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM

He doesn't shoot HXP, so I can assume he would not know. But they've been selling it for quite awhile (2010?) since the last big shipment from Greece.

90% of his comments are argumentative, and he is just the sort to drag you into crap. Sounds like the entire world of Highpower would crumble without his participation. At this point, all the trouble he may have had with HXP ammo is Karma getting him back for being a tool.

cuppednlocked
10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
He's the cause for Hornady kicking in for ammo! I wonder if the CMP consulted him on any "safe ammo" for the games?

howie
10-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Shuff, did you ever have any bent op rods, or other "damage" from HXP? just curious, and I promise I won't copy and paste.:-)

timshufflin
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Shuff, did you ever have any bent op rods, or other "damage" from HXP? just curious, and I promise I won't copy and paste.:-)

I'm happy to report that I've not had that happen with any ammo. Amazing isn't it!

Roadkingtrax
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm happy to report that I've not had that happen with any ammo. Amazing isn't it!

You could not of possibly shot enough ammo to get any true results that he had though? This cannot be the case, oh and he knows more than you. $clapper$

timshufflin
10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
You could not of possibly shot enough ammo to get any true results that he had though? This cannot be the case, oh and he knows more than you. $clapper$

He may know more than me, I don't know. I just shoot guns every day and am reporting what I know. I guess I know nothing though because I have nothing bad to report.

Prince Humperdink
10-24-2012, 11:46 PM
The only problem I've ever had with HXP is a batch of HXP 78.Every round I fired in any semi auto would lose it's rim and get stuck but worked fine in all bolt rifles.This was not a case of dirty chambers as I had several lots and only ever happened with the 78(all in the same shooting session).HXP brass is great too,I've loaded some a half million times ;)

howie
10-25-2012, 09:12 PM
+1 on HXP brass. I've reloaded some of it myself....cleans up nicely!

checkmate19
10-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Years ago I bought some wold ammo for my M1, it was so cool to see all the flames and big boom. Well till everything came a jam , op rod jammed and broke i think the firing pin. LOL ,, Ilearned a lesson that day. I had so much Istill fired it in bolt guns but shortly after I could not bear to use it any more. Afriend though it was cool and bought what I had left, I warned him. The stuff was way way hot.

dogboysdad
10-27-2012, 07:18 AM
He may know more than me, I don't know. I just shoot guns every day and am reporting what I know. I guess I know nothing though because I have nothing bad to report.

What exactly did it take for Orest Michaels to buy your silence??

timshufflin
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
What exactly did it take for Orest Michaels to buy your silence??

It's a long story.

Orlando
10-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey its figgin surplus ammo, whats the guy expect? Still waiting on him to send me his leftover HXP like he said he would but I'm not holdin my breath :)
All of it I have fired all went bang and accuracy was to be expected for Surplus ammo
I did get one lot of 62 HXP that wasnt the best but far from dangerous. It did have some loose ,crooked bullets and accuracy wasnt good so I used it all for sighters for settling the action into the stock