PDA

View Full Version : Holbrook Device

dross
10-26-2012, 12:05 PM
What are the thoughts on these? Sounds like a neat enhancement, any downside to using one?

jak
10-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Personally, I don't see a need for it. Since I never used one I don't know if there is a downside.

Orlando
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Alot of guys seem to use them but I also dont see a need for one

jhunt67
10-26-2012, 07:56 PM
The risk of M1 thumb is about the only dangerous thing in life I can do anymore - I would hate to retreat on that final issue.

Punch The Clown
10-26-2012, 10:02 PM
They're nice. Basically makes the M1 behave exactly like an M14. The enbloc will only eject with the clip latch. The enbloc can remain in the rifle and be loaded with as many rounds as you like. Nice gadget, especially for a hunter.

grumpyoldretiredcop
10-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Makes loading a little less clumsy for a left hander (that would be me). Nice also to be able to load individual rounds.

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Are there anymore opinions (pros/cons) about the Holbrook device? Seems like a good idea.

Also gives me a good reason to get a fancy or custom clip latch :)

jbkf1003
02-21-2014, 02:34 PM
The thumb saving side of it should be a non issue, if you load them correctly you won't ever have this problem. If your range shooting or hunting, It's a useful enhancement. You don't have to chase clips, they only come out when you remove them. I can see the benefit to this.

But you loose the iconic ping..

That said, In a battle rifle I wouldn't want it. If your interested I have one I'd sell at a discounted rate. I bought it to test with a CASM mount, decided mag fed was the way to go.

Justin

LavaTech
02-21-2014, 02:58 PM
I've never used a Sporter Oprod catch, but I seriously doubt Holbrook was the originator. They're not that difficult to make though.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/LavaTech/Various/SporterOprodCatch_zps106bdeba.jpg (http://s189.photobucket.com/user/LavaTech/media/Various/SporterOprodCatch_zps106bdeba.jpg.html)

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 03:03 PM
The thumb saving side of it should be a non issue, if you load them correctly you won't ever have this problem.

Can you elaborate on this? What are people doing wrong that causes the bolt to automatically release when pushing in a full clip?

jbkf1003
02-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Can you elaborate on this? What are people doing wrong that causes the bolt to automatically release when pushing in a full clip?

There is a technique to it where you use the side of your hand to keep the oprod from moving forward, while inserting the enbloc with your thumb. The bolt can't close with your hand in the way of the oprod. Then you can push back a bit with your hand to release the oprod, and rotate your hand out of the way.

I'll see if I can find a youtube video.

This is almost what I do. The important thing is how he uses the blade of his hand to hold the oprod back. If you do this, you can't get M1 thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4VsZ9M5L8

After loading the enbloc I push back with the blade of my hand a bit to release the oprod, then quickly rotate my hand (thumb too) up and out of the way. This causes the action to close on a round and you usually don't need to slap it. I usually give it a little tap with my hand just to make sure the bolt is closed though, but that's just me.

Justin

LavaTech
02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
M1 thumb is nearly impossible to acquire unless the bolt is resting on the follower slide. When a clip is loaded thumb pressure on the top round prevents the bolt from going anywhere. I do use the edge of my hand to control the oprod/bolt closure if single loading though.

Corpsie
02-21-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty slick when it comes to getting my fingers stuck places, so it sounds like this device is for me. My Garand and Mini-G aren't going to be my SHTF BR's anyway. I can also practice to get fast with using the rifle with the device too.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it :D