PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about thinning the herd ?

mikebaker1129
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I have been thinking about thinning the herd and parting ways with a couple Garands .
What will a typical mixmaster sell for ?
Should I just break them down into parts kits ?
I welcome any and all thoughts on this. I mainly want to get some breathing room in the safe, I am not having a financial crisis or looking to maximize profit, but wondering what would 2 (nothing special) Garands sell for on the open market reasonably fast?

Thanks guys !

LEAD POISON
11-10-2012, 11:03 PM
The quantity of rifles lately seams to out pace the parts available.Some guys are doing really well.
I would think you would do much better parting them out.

jak
11-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I just sold a mixmaster HRA to Cabelas for $750. I bought it as a field grade last year.

Roadkingtrax
11-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Part it out. Save what you can as your own spares for parts.

I have barreled receiver that is going that way.

Jimbo Slice
11-11-2012, 01:58 AM
I need a SA gas tube (with bayonet lug and stacking swivel).

I have the gas plug but some jackwagon chromed it, so if you have a slot plug I'd be interested as well.

Orlando
11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Mike
I can easily sell mixmasters in very good condition locally for $825-$850
In fact just sold one last week $825, was a real nice Field Grade

Of course you wont get that kind of $$ selling on CMP forum. If you dont have a forum or other place to sell them best bet might be to break down for parts and list on CMP
Good pictures is what sells parts fast at top $$$

mikebaker1129
11-11-2012, 10:59 AM
If I break them down for parts ,I will have leftover receivers. I am not planning on keeping any for spare parts. I want to move them out, I guess I need to see what I have 1st.I may sell them as parts kits .
Maybee I will take them with me to a gunshow and see what happens.

Dave
11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Always a tough choice for me when it comes time to thin the herd. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on CMP and Jouster over they years but lately it seems if you want to sell a complete rifle it has to be at a CMP price or no one bites. If I need to sell a common mixmaster and it's in presentable shape, I just take it to one of my local gunshops and sell it for $650 if it's an SA, $750 for an HRA and $800 for a WRA. That's what the guy pays me, without questions. My problem is, I've already sold off all my mixmasters/shooters. Now I need to sell a few more to fund another purchase so it's time to sell some WW2 restorations, all of which are either original finish or older worn arsenal reparks, all with matching finish parts, genuine wood etc. The thing is, no one seems to want them for a fair price on the websites or locally. Everyone still thinks they should sell for mixmaster prices!

After watching similar rifles go up for sale on various forums and not selling for what the parts are even worth, I decided to sell the last one on GB. I set my reserve at 1200, it sold for 1250. I was hoping for more but the dam thing ended the same night as Sandy dumped on the east coast. Not only did I lose power and internet but so did several of the bidders I had on it. The guy who had the high bid when I lost power was the same guy who was the winner when I got back online days later. He also had no power and was surprised he won. It was days before either one of us contacted each other, and I had numerous emails from other bidders saying they also would have gone higher if it was'nt for losing power and/or internet. Pisses me off but what could I do? It met my reserve so I completed the deal, the buyer could'nt thank me enough and was more than happy with it. It was a nice gun, 7-44 with all matching original finish parts. The thing is, now I need to sell a few more similar guns. Should I go the same route or try the websites first? Or part it out? I know I can do better parting them out but I also don't have the time to be listing everything seperate, dealing with the numerous emails and PM's, packing and shipping etc. I'd rather sell the gun whole to someone who will appreciate it and the history it represents. I never even tried listing that last one on any of the forums, maybe this next time I will, but honestly, I think I'll end up back on Gunbroker. BTW- the final cost of the GB auction, after all listing and final fees, was $46.

mikebaker1129
11-11-2012, 07:44 PM
That is what I was thinking, somewhere around $600-650 or so.

canes7
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I've been thinking about thinning the herd a bit too. I've got a Dane WWII mixmaster that would probably fall in line with todays FG's. It's an interesting rifle because it has lock-bar's and decent USGI wood that has the SN stamped along the bottom of the stock (it matches). I was going to walk around the gunshow with it next weekend, if it aint too crazy, starting at $700. After reading Orlando's post I'm thinking about starting higher.

That rifle is nearly a duplicate of another I have and I want to make room for the IHC's that are coming.

Roadkingtrax
11-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Canes pm sent.