PDA

View Full Version : 6 Million Value.

Roadkingtrax
11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Now that the dust has settled from the mad rush to send in orders to the CMP, and the rifles by in large have been received.

Is there really a monetary value difference between a 6 Million and any other M1 in equal condition?

Orlando
11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
All about numbers, supply and demand. IMO yes there is a slight premium

Prince Humperdink
11-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I really don't think that many on the private market will realize much more value if they are trying to sell to"shooters",but They will on the CMP forum to cultured"collectors".....at least until another huge cache is located.

cuppednlocked
11-13-2012, 08:38 PM
What about the old premium (that I've read about) for HRA's? If there are a bunch of IHC Garands in the batch from Turkey, will their value drop?

This is, of course, pure speculation from the fact the Turkish Garand thread was pulled so quickly.

Roadkingtrax
11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
What about the old premium (that I've read about) for HRA's? If there are a bunch of IHC Garands in the batch from Turkey, will their value drop?

This is, of course, pure speculation from the fact the Turkish Garand thread was pulled so quickly.

Did the Turkey Thread get deleted? I never noticed....was it because of the subject matter, or were the masses fighting?

dogboysdad
11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I'd like to have a 6 mil.

cuppednlocked
11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Did the Turkey Thread get deleted? I never noticed....was it because of the subject matter, or were the masses fighting?

Best guess on my part was subject matter. I didn't read anything that was out of line, but it sure vanished in a hurry.

Roadkingtrax
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
I'd like to have a 6 mil.

I'll send you an email.

dpd3672
11-14-2012, 04:22 AM
The 6 Millions that I've seen on Gunbroker always have a pretty hefty asking price, although I never really paid attention to if they sold or not. Probably one of those items with very few sellers, very few buyers, and very few transactions actually taking place.

I always found it strange that some of the equally (or more) rare serial number blocks or variations don't seem to sell for as much of a premium. I guess it's just a matter of herd mentality, and people being told what they're supposed to want.

Dave
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
The thing with the recent batch of 6 mils is that they are mostly non original put together rifles. Many have NM barrels but they may or may not be original NM rifles. Even if they are they don't have all the other NM parts and wood. I still think a true original 6 mil will hold up better on value than this recent batch. There were a few exceptions but it seems most of what folks posted are really just mixmasters with NM barrels on them. To the average guy shopping Gunbroker for his first shooter, he will not care what the serial number is.

Prince Humperdink
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
The thing with the recent batch of 6 mils is that they are mostly non original put together rifles. Many have NM barrels but they may or may not be original NM rifles. Even if they are they don't have all the other NM parts and wood. I still think a true original 6 mil will hold up better on value than this recent batch. There were a few exceptions but it seems most of what folks posted are really just mixmasters with NM barrels on them. To the average guy shopping Gunbroker for his first shooter, he will not care what the serial number is.

This holds true for Winchester,HRA,and IHC's as well.A put together rifle will never realize the value that an original does,and with this current batch fro CMP I'd be wary of any 6 mil coming out into general sales being "correct",and worth much more than say,$75 over another comparable SA rifle.They know what things are worth,and auction off accordingly....not to say some won't/haven't slipped by.

batman 82
11-15-2012, 08:55 AM
I have sold 11 of my original 6 mil rifles in the last 2 years. None of the rifles were sold for under 2K. Of the numbers produced in the 6 mil range most were used to build match rifles, service rifles that have not been played with are some what rare. When you get into the 6 mil HRA's and 6.1mil SA's the sky can be the limit. In the late 80's and early 90's before the DCM changed to the CMP alot of original 6 mil rifles were sold, I have collected these rifles for 15+ years because they were the last Garands produced.

cuppednlocked
11-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Someone asked about the Turkish Garands: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=90138

canes7
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I love O's response to that. I kinda figured that the volounteer program would die a horrible death, again, after the Turk rifle rumor got out.

Roadkingtrax
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks like there might be ramifications outside of just someone who can't shut up...

When rumors and words circulate, as I think he implies, some people are in a position to delay the incorporation of such commodities even to the CMP. Not to mention, anyone that has spent time in South West Asia knows you can't deal with those people...perhaps our friends in Constantinople are different.

As far as the volunteer program goes,...what did the CMP expect?

cuppednlocked
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Loose lips, sink ships.

As time passes I can really understand why O looks forward to the last rifle sold...

jak
11-15-2012, 02:09 PM
As far as the volunteer program goes,...what did the CMP expect?

I volunteered twice at CMP. I saw a lot a stuff and never said anything about it until Orest started confirming rumors

Roadkingtrax
11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I volunteered twice at CMP. I saw a lot a stuff and never said anything about it until Orest started confirming rumors

You have integrity!!! Sadly not all do.

luvmym1 13
11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I thought it was funny how all the butt smoochers snapped to when O threatened to send them to there room. And If you know that bringing something up is a bad idea then why in the hell would you bring it up. As if any good would come from it.
"I honestly feel awful asking" Then why ask. You know it's going to be a negative reaction unless he wanted to stir the pot. Honestly it's like watching one of those stupid housewives shows.

Roadkingtrax
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I thought it was funny how all the butt smoochers snapped to when O threatened to send them to there room. And If you know that bringing something up is a bad idea then why in the hell would you bring it up. As if any good would come from it.
"I honestly feel awful asking" Then why ask. You know it's going to be a negative reaction unless he wanted to stir the pot. Honestly it's like watching one of those stupid housewives shows.

Except man-boobs, not bolt-ons.

luvmym1 13
11-15-2012, 06:58 PM
exactly :p

Dave
11-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I have sold 11 of my original 6 mil rifles in the last 2 years. None of the rifles were sold for under 2K. Of the numbers produced in the 6 mil range most were used to build match rifles, service rifles that have not been played with are some what rare. When you get into the 6 mil HRA's and 6.1mil SA's the sky can be the limit. In the late 80's and early 90's before the DCM changed to the CMP alot of original 6 mil rifles were sold, I have collected these rifles for 15+ years because they were the last Garands produced.

I only have one 6 mil SA, a 6.08 that I acquired many years ago. It's an original rifle, it's not a NM, and by todays judging standards it would probably be a service grade because it has some minor finish wear on the metal and wood. Back when I got it, it was a collector grade. I was perfectly happy with it until the 6 mil HRA bug got a hold of me. To fix that, I ended up buying one of your former rifles! :)
I was hoping to add a 6.1 to the mix but instead I got sidetracked on an M1C. The 6.1 will have to wait till spring.:(

jak
11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Someone asked about the Turkish Garands: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=90138

This post got deleted too