PDA

View Full Version : Winter Projects Arrived

Orlando
11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
FedEx just dropped of several barreled receivers from CMP.
I havent been able to get up to the North Store so had a friend pic them out for me.
Couldnt be more pleased with them
Got two of the grade B barreled receivers with bolts. Barrels look to be the same NOS barrels CMP was selling a few years back
Both are SA 1-55
MW-.5
TW-2
MW.5
TW-1.75
No pitting anywhere on the receivers.Everything is freshly reparked
The CMP Armorers could take a lesson from Shuff though. Doesnt look like they use anything to protect the receivers when twisting on the barrels as both have a mark on the park from the wrench. No big deal but you think they would know better
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture708.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture709.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture707.jpg
Also got a H&R Navy 7.62 barreled receiver. No pitting or rust , good finish
MW-1
Going to have to invest in some 7.62 headspace gauges. I want to get this one to the range
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture706.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/Picture705.jpg

Phil McGrath
11-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Get too work!!

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Invest in .308 headspace gauges.

Orlando
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Invest in .308 headspace gauges.

OK, Tim I need help
Why 308 Win gauges instead of 7.62 gauges? Honestly this 7.62 vs .308 baffles me

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 05:06 PM
OK, Tim I need help
Why 308 Win gauges instead of 7.62 gauges? Honestly this 7.62 vs .308 baffles me

You can always shoot 7.62 in a .308 chamber. You cannot always shoot .308 in a 7.62 chamber.

You can have a 7.62 chamber which passes all 7.62 headspace gauges BUT will fail Field gauge with .308.

Of course, if you are only going to shoot 7.62, get the 7.62 gauges.

buzzy
11-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Orlando,

Be sure to double check the headspace on those barreled receivers that you received. CMP is advertising them with a bolt that is headspaced to the barrel and receiver.
Tim had to turn the reamer about 15 times to get mine headspaced correctly.

Orlando
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Orlando,

Be sure to double check the headspace on those barreled receivers that you received. CMP is advertising them with a bolt that is headspaced to the barrel and receiver.
Tim had to turn the reamer about 15 times to get mine headspaced correctly.

Funny you mentioned that. I just did check and neither one will not close on a Go gauge
Wonder if the armorers gauges need replaced?

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I just did check and neither one will not close on a Go gauge
Wonder if the armorers gauges need replaced?

Neither one will not close? Does that mean that they don't close on a go?

Orlando
11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
The bolts on both of the Barreled Recivers will NOT close on the Clymer Go Gauge
Its close but there is a small gap

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 06:52 PM
The bolts on both of the Barreled Recivers will NOT close on the Clymer Go Gauge

The rifles will surely blow up and you will die.

canes7
11-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Try a 7.62 gage. :D Just make sure you lap the lugs first.

I'm pretty sure the BS about test firing and headspacing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I would guess the armorers only check for excessive headspace with a field gage and never bother with a Go gage.

Orlando
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
I know, I will lap the bolts
I will save the world

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
I know, I will lap the bolts
I will save the world

What about the next Guy Orlando? What if someone gets your bolts and doesn't know they were lapped and then lapps them again for their rifle? They could also get your receiver and lapp the thing to their bolt. Now were getting down to surface hardness that could be dangerous. Oh the humanity.

Orlando
11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Try a 7.62 gage. :D Just make sure you lap the lugs first.

I'm pretty sure the BS about test firing and headspacing isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I would guess the armorers only check for excessive headspace with a field gage and never bother with a Go gage.

The barreled receivers that fail the Go gauge are the 30.06 BR that come with bolts. These have NOS 1-55 barrels so they had to be finish reamed

Orlando
11-14-2012, 07:11 PM
What about the next Guy Orlando? What if someone gets your bolts and doesn't know they were lapped and then lapps them again for their rifle? They could also get your receiver and lapp the thing to their bolt. Now were getting down to surface hardness that could be dangerous. Oh the humanity.

I will inscribe on bolt " dangerous previously lapped"

canes7
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
The barreled receivers that fail the Go gauge are the 30.06 BR that come with bolts. These have NOS 1-55 barrels so they had to be finish reamed

I know. I was just kidding with the 7.62 thing. Still I bet the armorers slapped 'em together with the slightest of care and just used teh field gage. It'll be interesting to see if the barrels are even timed right.

Orlando
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Aw great , never even gave that a thought. Going to go check them now

Orlando
11-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Allright Canes, just checked barrel timing both are fine. One is perfect the other .5 a degree off.
While I had the bolt stripped I inserted a loaded rd of HXP and the lugs will bottom out against the receiver with strong finger pressure.
I would think it would be fine or am I not thinking correctly??

timshufflin
11-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Allright Canes, just checked barrel timing both are fine. One is perfect the other .5 a degree off.
While I had the bolt stripped I inserted a loaded rd of HXP and the lugs will bottom out against the receiver with strong finger pressure.
I would think it would be fine or am I not thinking correctly??

You don't care how HXP fits Orlando, we covered this a couple of years ago on our old forum. HXP, while the same headspace, has different case dimensions than Commercial ammo. You simply care how your headspace gauge fits so long as the HXP is not hitting the lands with the round, you're good to go. Just mark up the ball end with a marker and push it in. If you pull it out and the marker was not wiped, you're GTG. If the marker is buggered then the CMP may not have reamed the barrel at all. The reamer is what throats the darn chamber for the bullet.

deputy85
11-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I wonder if the CMPhas been notified that their headspaced BR'S ARENT ?Seems like a liability isue for them?

canes7
11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
You don't care how HXP fits Orlando, we covered this a couple of years ago on our old forum. HXP, while the same headspace, has different case dimensions than Commercial ammo. You simply care how your headspace gauge fits so long as the HXP is not hitting the lands with the round, you're good to go. Just mark up the ball end with a marker and push it in. If you pull it out and the marker was not wiped, you're GTG. If the marker is buggered then the CMP may not have reamed the barrel at all. The reamer is what throats the darn chamber for the bullet.

It's amazing how useful Sharpies are! I'm guessing with a TE of 1.75 and 2 that they'll be just fine.

Good ot hear your BR's at GTG Orlando. My faith in CMP build quality has been wavering over the last few years.

Orlando
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I wonder if the CMPhas been notified that their headspaced BR'S ARENT ?Seems like a liability isue for them?

I sent a E-mil to CMP and here is the response:

Bill,

Thanks for the email. We will perform a QC check on the existing barreled
receivers.

Orest

Orlando
11-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Tim
Are posts from the old forum still around???