PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy gurus...

cuppednlocked
11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
What would cause my Garand to go from 2 clicks elevation to 9 over the course of this year? Seems like every match I was adding another click up.

It had not been detail cleaned in a year +, the rear sight is tight and works correctly, ammunition is the same HXP 69 headstamp, rifle has not been out of the stock (nor teigger group unlatched) since last detail cleaning.

Snce it is getting put up for the year I broke it down and started to clean. There was a lot of carbon build up on the barrel, gas cylinder, and op rod. It was also quite difficult to remove the gas plug and lock. Besides being quite dirty I didn't notice anything that seemed off.

Phil McGrath
11-18-2012, 06:30 PM
What would cause my Garand to go from 2 clicks elevation to 9 over the course of this year? Seems like every match I was adding another click up.

It had not been detail cleaned in a year +, the rear sight is tight and works correctly, ammunition is the same HXP 69 headstamp, rifle has not been out of the stock (nor teigger group unlatched) since last detail cleaning.

Snce it is getting put up for the year I broke it down and started to clean. There was a lot of carbon build up on the barrel, gas cylinder, and op rod. It was also quite difficult to remove the gas plug and lock. Besides being quite dirty I didn't notice anything that seemed off.

Well now that your shooting season as ended and you have cleaned your rifle, its not uncommon for the rifle too need a few rounds down range for the action to settle back down into the stock sometimes it can be as few as 8rds or as many as 20rds.

canes7
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm still convinced it's operator error. :)

Orlando
11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
You are getting shorter with age :)

cuppednlocked
11-18-2012, 08:42 PM
After an enlightening text conversation with Canes I have decided it can't be my fault...

Actually, I have THE most consistent buck when I pull the trigger and it's obviously getting worse!

When I cleaned the barrel with the copper remover there was quite a bit of blue. It took a while to get the patches to come out clean. I realized it had been 2 seasons since I did a detail clean. I was a little "busy" this time last year and was not thinking about shooting.

I'll be interested to take it out again and see if that made a difference.

dpd3672
11-19-2012, 02:31 AM
I'm no expert on the fine tuning of a match rifle, but might it have something to do with the wood? Humidity, seasoning, something like that?

Just throwing it out there, I know my doors swell up at various times of the year.

cuppednlocked
11-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Update:

Took it to the range today. Elevation dope returned to "normal" after cleaning the bore. My memory was not accurate before. The elevation was not 2 but 4 up.

Now that it settled in the stock I'll see what happens during the next match.

canes7
11-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Good deal. Let us know how the next match goes.