PDA

View Full Version : Garand Malfunction

Orlando
11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
When inserting enbloc bolt will not start to move forward .I had to hold enbloc down in place and pull back on op rod handle then bolt would move forward starting to strip round then I could bump bolt closed
Whats worn out of spec, Bullet Guide Lobe, anything else to check?

timshufflin
11-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I would say that the bullet guide fulcrum could be too high but another long shot could be the trigger group. Make sure when you look down into the action that the front of the trigger housing is not protruding forward into the mag well. Of course, it could be something else.

jak
11-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I had a similar problem. Mine was the bullet guide. The fulcrum was less than the minimum specification.

timshufflin
11-26-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fulcrum. I get this mixed up all the time when I trouble shoot, yes I screw up just like anyone else, I was thinking that a short guide fulcrum would cause premature clip ejection so a long one would hang on to the clip and perhaps not eject it. I guess if the clip is wanting to eject that this could have the clip wanting to pop out and the rounds being harder to strip but Orlando didn't say anything about premature clip ejection.

I'll just shut up and say I'm stumped :)

Orlando
11-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Gee Tim thanks for your help, I'll go ask the experts on CMP :)

seaninmich
11-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Good idea. While you're there, don't forget to ask "how much is it worth?", "are SA parts original on HRA garands?", "how long will it take?", "when will we see the korean garands?", and "why do I have to pay for these? I'm a taxpayer"

timshufflin
11-27-2012, 09:03 AM

The difference between my answer and some of theirs?

1. Most will always say "put a new Orion 7 opspring in it".
2. Most will say that their answer is the only right answer and that all other solutions should be dismissed.

I know enough to know that there are a wide variety of causes that will give any Garand issues.

canes7
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Don't forget those who will open Kuhnhaussens book then copy, verbatim, the troublehooting steps listed for that problem and sit back smugly like they are some master garand armorer.

Orlando
11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Man do I have egg on my face ,I really shouldnt tell this story
I took rifle apart to start checking parts. I must have been in a hurry when I assembled her as I forgot to install a bullet guide!!!!!!!!!
Rifle functioned perfectly with the exception of the bolt closing when inserting the enbloc. Guess I should stick to picking up trash instead of building rifles

timshufflin
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Man do I have egg on my face ,I really shouldnt tell this story
I took rifle apart to start checking parts. I must have been in a hurry when I assembled her as I forgot to install a bullet guide!!!!!!!!!
Rifle functioned perfectly with the exception of the bolt closing when inserting the enbloc. Guess I should stick to picking up trash instead of building rifles

Not fair, we don't expect mistakes like that from you.

deputy85
11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Remember the trash GOES IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK NOT IN THE CAB

Dave
11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
I use a timing block on any rifle I assemble, that way I'll know if it will work correctly before inserting a loaded clip at the range.
Most of the time a little bit of peening on the bullet guide cures late timing, assuming the accelerator and pin are not worn or bent.
Yes I'm a tool junky, and still wishing I had one of those 45deg gas cylinder lock cutters too!

Orlando
11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
I use a timing block on any rifle I assemble, that way I'll know if it will work correctly before inserting a loaded clip at the range.
Most of the time a little bit of peening on the bullet guide cures late timing, assuming the accelerator and pin are not worn or bent.

No amount of peening the lobe makes a bit of difference if you dont install it :)

Timing block sounds like a good idea ,wonder if I could make one out of hardwood?

Roadkingtrax
11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
No amount of peening the lobe makes a bit of difference if you dont install it :)

Timing block sounds like a good idea ,wonder if I could make one out of hardwood?

Here is a discussion by Gus on the Timingblock...and some addtional info.

http://m14forum.com/m1-garand-accuracy/80239-m1-garand-timing-issues-fixes.html

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=23042

Jimbo Slice
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Here is a discussion by Gus on the Timingblock...and some addtional info.

http://m14forum.com/m1-garand-accuracy/80239-m1-garand-timing-issues-fixes.html

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=23042

Great links, thanks.

musketjon
12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Bill,
I applaud you for being man enough to man-up for such a bone-headed mistake.
Jon

Orlando
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Heck, I'm the King of Bone Heads

cannonshooter
12-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I had the same thing happen when the bullet guide was installed. Talked it over with Bill Rica at a gunshow and he picked me out a really nice new Bullet guide and a new follower arm. Put the Bullet guide in and everything functions like it should. I put the new follower arm in, the old one looked a bit worn.
Mack