PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the Garand

Powerhouse
11-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Hello all! The search for an answer has led me here to this forum.

I recently came into the possession of a Garand in the 5.6XX,XXX S/N range. The rifle is in very good shape, aside from a battered stock, and appears to have been fired very little. As with all of my rifles I intend to take this one hunting, so I started looking into reloads for it. After learning of the danger of bending the op rod, I ordered a Schuster adjustable gas block. Now on to my question...

I realize the recommended powders are in the medium burn range, but my preferred powder in the '06 has always been IMR 4350. Will the use of the Schuster plug allow allow me to use this powder without harm to the gas system or the op rod? Now, on other forums I have been told to just shoot surplus M2. Trouble is I want a hunting round with a 165 grain pill, and FMJ is illegal to hunt with here so that's out of the question. I could shoot commercial ammo, but why spend all that money when I can roll my own tailored to the rifle for much less? Lastly, I really, really like IMR 4350, it is consistently the most accurate powder I've used.

Really like the what I've seen so far and hope to be able to contribute some myself.

Phil McGrath
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm not a fan of any of the vented plugs, and the old adage of using powder in the burning rates of IMR-3031 to IMR-4320 in the M1 Garand still hold true today these load were developed long before the vented plugs became the rage. I would tailor my loads close too Arsenal velocitys, the 165s weight is closer too the LC .30 Match load than the M2's 150s are. Good loads that should put you in the sweet spot with your 165's.

IMR/H-4064 46-48.grs
Varget 46-46.5grs
IMR-4320 46-47grs
Primer, any std larger rifle primer seated below flush
Coal 3.34

Powerhouse
11-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the load info, I have been curious about Varget but have never used it. As far as velocity, whatever powder I use I will load as close to arsenal velocity as I can.

The question remains, whether you're a fan of ported plugs or not, can I safely use IMR-4350?

Phil McGrath
11-30-2012, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the info, can I safely use IMR-4350?

I know Don "MAC" McCoy's Long Range Navy load, it used a large dose of IMR-4350 and the 190SMK, but Don knew how too bend a op-rod and you don't. So the answer is NO if you like your rifle the way it is IMR-4350 is too slow for what you want too do. I gave you powders that were at the slower burning rates that would still work well with your rifle without issues.

HerkyBird
11-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Glad you made it over, PH. You'll find better answers quicker here vs the CMP forums. And Tim is always willing to take a call.

Powerhouse
11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Glad you made it over, PH. You'll find better answers quicker here vs the CMP forums. And Tim is always willing to take a call.

Thanks HB!

Powerhouse
11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I gave you powders that were at the slower burning rates that would still work well with your rifle without issues.

What you "gave" me is the same info that I have found everywhere else I have went, the only thing you left out was advising that I refer to the Hornady 7th edition manual.

I realize you are giving me info based on the rifle being left in a stock configuration, but the gas system has already been modified to be adjustable. Everything I have seen about it states that it can be set so that all of the gasses bleed off essentially turning the rifle into a single shot. If it will do that, it stands to reason that it can be set to vent enough gasses from a slower burning propellant to keep from damaging the rod while still cycling the action, would it not?

M1orNone
12-01-2012, 02:29 AM
IMR 4895 and Hodgdon H335 were always my go-to powders in the M1, with 150gr FMJ's.

Phil McGrath
12-01-2012, 06:44 AM
the gas system has already been modified to be adjustable. Everything I have seen about it states that it can be set so that all of the gasses bleed off essentially turning the rifle into a single shot. If it will do that, it stands to reason that it can be set to vent enough gasses from a slower burning propellant to keep from damaging the rod while still cycling the action, would it not?

Thats partialy correct, IMR-4350 doesn't generate alot of early chamber pressure (soft) so it needs alot of powder to ramp up and get the bullet running down its bore. The burning rate is long/slow and continuous. IMR-4350 will continue to generate pressure for almost 22in of the M1's 24in barrel lenth the gas port is at 21.8in so it blooms too late for most practical bullet weights used in the M1 rifle. Medium burning rate powders are normaly consumed in about the first 16in or so of the bore, the pressures have peaked and are starting to come down before it gets too the G/P. You can for a lack of a better discription help slower powders by using a heavier bullets with longer bearing lenths, it helps to consume the powder sooner and more efficiently. Thats the reason IMR-4350 is so accurate with heavy bullets used in bolt actions, long, slow, continuous.

You still need enough powder too make pressure too push the bullet to a resonable velocity for a accurate shot, and with the bullet you wish to use @165grns its to lite and short on bearing lenth for the powder to completely consume itself before the G/P and even with the vented/ported plug I don't think it could vent enough of the powders extra gas volume at a fast enough rate to keep the rifle from still cycling or bending its op-rod. Its a bad powder/bullet combo for use in the M1.

The advice I gave you with powder recomendations is not only good but well founded and established long before me or you, just because you want/can to load IMR-4350 because its your pet powder doesn't mean you should do so. My advice was free and a $1.59 gets you a lrg coffee, your free to do as you see fit and give it a go. If you can get it too work and work well without breakage I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong.

VitSports6
02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
I know this thread is older than dirt, but we are shooting an old rifle ;) and there has been some chat about reloading.

Here is a Google doc. "Reloading for the M1" it was published in American Rifleman, March 1986

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByRsUFulRXSUODYwODA1Y2EtYzc3Yi00NDZiLTgyMTAtZjFiY TU1ZWQyY2I3/preview?hl=en

If you can't access the link, let me know I will copy and past the 5 pages, this info is dated, however, it might work for some of you.

musketjon
02-16-2015, 10:39 PM
Don't forget, Hodgdens H4895 can be used as well. 46-47 grains of H4895 is a sweet shooting load as well with your chosen bullet. I'm with Phil on this one about the ported gas plug. In over 30 years of shooting the M1 rifle, I've never had the need for the plug. Just use well established and proven M1 rifle loads and you'll be good to go with no worries.
Just as an aside, my favorite go-to load for all 4 of my M1 rifles for match shooting is 46.5 grains of H4895 behind the A-Max 155 grain bullet. That load is deadly-accurate, at least in MY rifles. Let us know how you fare with your chosen bullet/powder load. None of us are too old to learn.
Have fun, and good luck on your hunt.
Jon

ngmtu
07-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Another vote for H4895. 46-46.5 grains with a 168 MK. If the rifle won't shoot with that load it probably won't shoot. H4895 is also useful for .308 loads in M1s and M1As.