PDA

View Full Version : USGI Wood

Roadkingtrax
12-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Is GI wood getting as scarce as I think it is?

The reason I ask, is a contact who has really nice stocks...some late WW2 and mainly Post War has increased his prices to some degree. My observations suggest that not a lot of GI wood is coming out of the CMP anymore, and most that is for sale on auction isn't really all that serviceable.

I don't mind the Dupage stocks, I actually think they have been refined to a much better product. What have others in the market been seeing?

Orlando
12-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Yes "good" USGI wood that isnt beat up and has good lockup is getting expensive.I have a few good USGI stocks and front handgaurds for future projects but I need some good rear handgaurds and havent seen any for awhile

jak
12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I remember about 4 or 5 years ago my friend and I were talking about this exact thing. Everybody was looking for WWII stocks and the DOD stocks were everywhere. He said that we should buy every nice looking DOD stock we could find because nobody wants them right now, but soon nice DOD stocks will become a rare commodity. I just wish I would have bought more of them.

Ever since CMP started selling their service grades with the replacement stocks USGI wood has been harder to find.

luvmym1 13
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
The Dupage stocks are very nice looking. But there is nothing like good USGI wood. If you can get your hands on them. Hold onto them. I have a 3.6 mil rifle with a SA DAS stock on it. And a build rifle with a Dupage. I just got my hands on a correct SA NFR for the 3 mil. That DAS is going right on the build rifle.

checkmate19
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
What someone sold a NFR ? LOL! Let us know how it turns out.

Roadkingtrax
12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I wonder if the CMP is making a decision to remove some of the better wood, and create some premium type of service grade in the future. Initially, it wouldn't make sense, but they have certainly created enough variations of M1 Garands to sell in the past.

I don't see correct grades coming back in large quantity, expensive rifles...but perhaps they pulled them to increase demand as well. I'm sure most of the so-so or OK wood gets traded to parts suppliers and Dupage for new wood to save on spending money directly. Just spit-balling.

In light of this conversation I have elected to pay the higher price for the two complete stock sets. It is my understanding that even the south store is a little sparse on GI wood.