PDA

View Full Version : SA Garand issued 2005

Peyman
12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Hello All,
I am a first time poster and after searching all available forums I have read a wealth of good ideas and knowledge I thank all the members out there.
My reason for the post is back 2006/07 I purchased my first Garand a SA new in the box which has only 100 rounds put through it.

I lost interest and for some reason I was bitten and resumed my interest in shooting,reloading pistol only and acquired a C&R and began collecting some really nice WW11 rifles. Since getting back to collecting and shooting I came across some older threads about this rifle.

It is not GI and the rifle was broken down and sure enough the stamping under the receiver was ADI Australia and barrel has SAM Genesseo,IL. The posts mentioned that old parts and receiver were less than desirable parts and the stock is new and larger than the 2 Garands that I purchased from Tony the Garand Guy which by the way are 2 fine rifles(thanks Tony).

Had I knew then what I have learned now and back then I had never heard of the CMP. They have very nice products but I chose to go with the Garand Guy. Possibly down the road I may purchase on from them as I am not finished by a long shot buying more rifles.

My concern is that this is not USGI and is still in new like condition I am thinking of selling this rifle,back then I only paid $800.00 when they were going for $1000.00 or more. Are there any concerns if this rifle is sold about the parts that were used in production I told the interested buyer the gun is not GI Spec so other then a complete rebuild is there any reason to keep this rifle it had no issues when it was shot at the range.any additional information on these newer versions are most welcome.
Thanks

timshufflin
12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure of your question Sir. If the rifle works, has good headspace, it would seem to be a good rifle.

Punch The Clown
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
A couple of guys here have Garands built on Lithgow receivers. Like Tim says, if it works and headspaces you can sell it in good conscience.

Peyman
12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Read a lot of very negative reviews on this model.

timshufflin
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Read a lot of very negative reviews on this model.

Well Sir, like I tell my customers, my review or anyone else's does not matter, what is your review of your rifle?

timshufflin
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
You've probably read some bad reviews of this receiver too. It is a CAI and took just a few tiny mods to be a decent receiver.

Dave
12-05-2012, 11:10 PM
There are some "Purists" out there that will tell you the SA Inc garands are junk because they are not forged USGI receivers. These same folks are the ones that will say the SA Inc M1A rifles are junk because the receivers are cast. While there may be better choices for a fully blown match grade build of either garand or M1A, you certainly do not have a "junk" gun because it's SA inc. It may not have the collector appeal that a USGI garand has but it's just fine for a shooter. The cast receivers can have some issues, not all of them are perfect, but if the gun functions and shoots ok then don't worry about it. If I'm not mistaken SA inc has a lifetime warranty anyway. I once sent them a very beat up used and abused M1A that had slam fire problems, the gun came back no charge with a new barrel, bolt, stock and trigger group. That was a gun I bought used and have no idea how many rounds it fired or how many owners it had. All I know is they fixed it for free. I've since sold that rifle but have two others, both SA inc M1A's, and neither one has given me any problems.

Peyman
12-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks I also own a SA M1A and it's my favorite rifle in my collection. The rifle did not have any issues when fired at the range so I feel more comfortable and most likely will keep and shoot until there is reason to have it inspected.

Thanks all for the input.

Phil McGrath
12-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Your SA Inc rifle I'm sure is a fine shooter, and don't fall into the cast vrs forged debate. SAI used parts that were in servicable condition from every M1 parts manufacturer they refinnished them and used new wood stocks made by Boyds so they had a New Unissued appearance. Here is where the SAI fall out of faver, sense the CMP's Garand Games have taken off and exploded in popularity the old M1 Garand is Cool again, but CMP rules state that the rifles used must be a Gov't issued weapon. Springfield Armory Inc is not the same Springfield Armory from Mass, so it doesn't fit the rules of "as Issued" to US Forces.

Its easier/faster too say SAI M1 is a junk rifle than explaine the rules of the Garand Games. Another option is you could do is build a NRA Service Rifle and have fun or just enjoy it for what it is a nice shooter.

LEAD POISON
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
The nice thing about being on this forum.you can get other peoples opinions and there are some very good ones here.
Some people are always interested in what you have,If you think you'd rather go all USGI.You can sell it.
If you like it, and it sounds like you do,Keep it.It's a nice piece.
Just an old man's 2 pennys
LEAD POISON said that.

dogboysdad
12-07-2012, 10:54 PM
You've probably read some bad reviews of this receiver too. It is a CAI and took just a few tiny mods to be a decent receiver.

Shufflin made my CAI receiver run like a boss.