PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Experience by the Garand Guy

The Garand Guy
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
I sold a customer an M1 in 30-06. When he received it, he said that the cartridges would not chamber & stuck out 1/2 inch. I told him to return it to me for service. I was afraid that I had sent him a 308 barrel by mistake. When it arrived, I checked it with the gauges, and it was a 30-06, properly reamed & headspaced. I sent it back to him, and informed him what I had done. He tried a few rounds & they still stuck. The next day he e-mailed me that he had bought some of the Korean ammo (which is also corrosive) & tried to roll some of the rounds on a table, and some did not roll. Upon closer examination, he found that some of the rounds were crushed, out-of-round, and would not feed. He apologised for the gaffe.

Moral of this story? Check your ammo thoroughly before you blame the rifle.

Punch The Clown
12-07-2012, 11:16 PM
I canned my korean ammo. It smelled like piss and the guns wouldn't run on it.

luvmym1 13
12-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I've always heard nothing but bad things about Korean ammo

timshufflin
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I have had exactly one receiver in my entire life that the heel cracked, it was a standard Garand using korean ammo when it happened. Although not scientific data, it is good enough for me.

Dave
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I've shot thousands of rounds of Korean without a problem. I've had some that looked bad so I did'nt shoot it. Each can I opened got inspected one round at a time, the good ones put in one can and the bad looking ones in another. Over a few years time frame, I had about half of a 50 cal ammo can of culled rounds, not that bad considering the amount that shot ok. I found the stuff to be clean burning and pretty accurate for surplus. One thing I did do though was not buy lot numbers that were on the "bad" list. Of course this was years ago. Now I'm starting to see Korean stuff show up again in some of the local gunshops. I have no idea how this current batch of stuff is, or if it's part of the same lots we were getting years ago. I don't know if I still have the lot list either.