PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone. My first post and a question

surplusshooter
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I have a question. I would like to know more about the type-I lock bar rear sight for the Springfield Armory M1 Garand. What I call the type-I lock bar is the bar that replaced the flush nut. I have seen them that have rounded end and ones with square ends. I have seen them that were threaded all the way to the outside and I have seen them that were only threaded half way. I have seen the Chinese made reproductions that look like they were cast instead of forged and machined. I have seen fake type-I's that used a type-II bar that was sleeved for the smaller 6-40NF thread and I have seen ones that were welded up and redrilled and tapped. In short, I have seen so many different styles of type-I lock bars that I don't know what a real one really looks like. Does a "real" S.A. type -I lock bar have rounded ends or square ends ? Does a "real" type-I lock bar have threads that only go half way or are they threaded all the way through to the outside ? Can someone please explain and describe what a "real" type-I lock bar looks like or better yet post pictures of a real one next to a fake. Thanks.

timshufflin
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
I think mine is real but I'm of no hope, not a chance in heck I'm digging it out for disassembly, sorry bro. I think you'll find the answer from someone more trained than me anyway, who won't even need to take one apart.

surplusshooter
01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the reply Tim. No need for disassembly. All that is needed is an eyeball. I just need to know what just the bar itself looks like. Does it have rounded or squared ends and is it threaded all the way through or just half way. Thanks again.

Orlando
01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum
Arent Type I sights "flush nut" and type II and III have lock bars? I beleive Type II are rounded ends and TypeIII are square but I'm no expert

seaninmich
01-15-2013, 08:26 PM
No. pretty sure there is the flush nut, then type I lockbar, type II, typeIII

surplusshooter
01-15-2013, 09:14 PM
"Seaninmich" is correct. First there was the flush nut, then after that there was the type-I, type-II and type-III lock bars. The type-I is the rarest of all M1 Garand rear sights. They were only made for about 4 months in 1942.