PDA

View Full Version : Not to steal the thunder from TX or rub it in to ny but check it out.

timshufflin
01-23-2013, 09:32 PM
The Michigan Firearms Freedom Act

This bill would specifically protect my company, lowly Shuff's Parkerizing. Under this act, I could specifically make a model that would be sold only in MI and help keep me in business should a federal law try and put me out of business.

January 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Senate bill exempts Michigan-made firearms from fed restrictions

By Gary Heinlein
Detroit News Lansing Bureau
<fb:comments-count href="http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/POLITICS02/301230392" class="" fb-xfbml-state="rendered">18</fb:comments-count> Comments (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/POLITICS02/301230392/Senate-bill-exempts-Michigan-made-firearms-from-fed-restrictions?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE#co mments)

Lansing — Legislation that likely would pit Michigan against the federal government in a legal battle over firearms regulations is on its way to a vote by the full Michigan Senate following a brief committee hearing on Wednesday morning.
Senate Bill 63 would exempt firearms and firearms accessories made and sold exclusively in Michigan from federal gun restrictions, including those proposed by President Barack Obama in response to last month's slaying of 20 children and 6 adults at a Connecticut elementary school. Obama's proposals include universal background checks for firearms purchases and a ban on assault weapons.
The bill, dubbed the "Michigan Firearms Freedom Act" is sponsored by Sen. Phil Pavlov, R-St. Clair, who argued that gun owners' Second Amendment rights are in jeopardy. But Sen. Steve Bieda, D-Warren, the only "no" in a 3-1 committee vote to send the bill to the full Senate, said he's concerned the measure would violate the supremacy and commerce clauses of the U.S. Constitution.
"The (new) federal regulations or laws aren't even out there yet," Bieda said. "I feel like we're buying a lawsuit without even knowing what the lawsuit is for."
The committee heard testimony from Steve Dulan, an attorney and professor at Lansing's Thomas M. Cooley Law School, who described the proposal as "an important assertion of state sovereignty. Just because there might be a fight doesn't mean we shouldn't proceed," said Dulan, who also serves on the board of the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners.
Ferndale resident Rebecca Hammond said the bill takes Michigan in the wrong direction. "I would like to see gun victims get the same concern and respect as gun owners," said Hammond, whose testimony was cut short when she clashed with the committee chairman, Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge over his remarks in favor of the legislation.
The committee also sent to the full Senate a bill exempting Michigan gun registrations from public disclosure under Michigan's sunshine act.
[email protected] ([email protected])

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/POLITICS02/301230392#ixzz2Iqu44vZm (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130123/POLITICS02/301230392#ixzz2Iqu44vZm)

csacpt
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I hope it passes, for your sake and for the sake of the country.

Punch The Clown
01-23-2013, 11:45 PM
"But Sen. Steve Bieda, D-Warren, the only "no" in a 3-1 committee vote to send the bill to the full Senate, said he's concerned the measure would violate the supremacy and commerce clauses of the U.S. Constitution."

But steve has no concern about the federal government violating the Constitution.

Prince Humperdink
01-24-2013, 01:16 AM
We passed that here a long time ago(1 or 2 years),but feds said it doesn't apply,because they say so.As far as I know no manufacturer dared tempt the fed overlords :(

cuppednlocked
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
How about the 420 proposition for Colorado and the other states that legalized MJ? IIRC the Feds said they would not be pushing that issue. My guess is they WILL push enforcement of this type of bill.

Glad to see MI on the bandwagon though. SC is another state that is proposing a similar measure.