PDA

View Full Version : Best scout scope for mini-g

Zwara
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi! been serching the globe for my first rifle purchase, found this wonderful place. just 1 question, whats the best scout scope for one of these little ladies? also, what would the eye relief be best at? i see scout scope relief from 6-14" and 6-8" and id rather not risk ejecting a case into a too closely mounted scope. ty and great to be here :D

axemurderer
01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Zwara

From one prisoner of NY to an other, I have a Leupold M8 2x IER scope on mine. It is on an Amega ranges mount. I love it. As to eye relief, I have not measured it. I simply installed it wher it worked best for me. I will try and find a picture to show you.

Mike

axemurderer
01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Here they are...............

Brinks352
01-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Darn it, I want one now, stupid pics :)

Zwara
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
found http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R-Scout-Scope-P51466.aspx wich looked primo, also thought of popping a deltapoint on the top rear ring for some more CQ ability. dont see a mini g needing to reach out over 300 in many scenario. does this seem an effective go-to rifle?

axemurderer
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
That is a real nice scope. However I found mine on ebay for 100.00 used. I also bought a Steyer scout take off scope for 125.00 there. That is on my m63 Tanker Mauser. Seek and you shall find. And both of my Mini-Gs are my go to rifles....

Mike

found http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x33-VX-R-Scout-Scope-P51466.aspx wich looked primo, also thought of popping a deltapoint on the top rear ring for some more CQ ability. dont see a mini g needing to reach out over 300 in many scenario. does this seem an effective go-to rifle?

Zwara
01-28-2013, 10:49 PM
note to anyone interested in that scope i wrote about: the eye relief isnt enough for a forward scout mount on a mini g, the clip (and most likely brass) would eject right into the scope at its intended distance... too bad, its kinda nice. from what i see the burris fixed is best with a max 14" relief min 8" perfect for a garand. ty for the input :D

timshufflin
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
note to anyone interested in that scope i wrote about: the eye relief isnt enough for a forward scout mount on a mini g, the clip (and most likely brass) would eject right into the scope at its intended distance... too bad, its kinda nice. from what i see the burris fixed is best with a max 14" relief min 8" perfect for a garand. ty for the input :D

I have had forward scopes on several G's, never had the clips or brass nail the scope, your mileage may vary. I just keep the very rear of the scope just in front of the bolt face and I've been good to go.

Zwara
01-29-2013, 12:06 AM
what i meant (more clearly) is that the eye relief distance on that scope would put it just behind the bolt to view comfortably, wich would cause the clip to wang it on the way up. it would seem the simple fix is use a fixed scout scope with more distance relief like the burris (wich seems ideal for forward mounting) i gotta go check them out in person, last thing i wanna do is drop a ton of money on a scope i cant use comfortably... thats what im trying to avoid... burris fixed and a fastfireIII ontop seems to even it out for 0-300y (original idea was for a mini-G, that leup^, and a deltapoint ontop) forgive me here but im gonna nerd it up for a sec, to me, building my first rifle is like a jedi constructing its lightsaber, its a extension of you, something that may save you and yours lives, and i wanna do it perfect... :D and this is the place where that all starts happening. i dunno, heya Tim, what would you say the distance from the front of the bolt face to the avg shooters eye is (i tried to measure it by measuring a pic and using manufacture specs to make an educated guess, i dunno if i did it rite)

timshufflin
01-29-2013, 12:55 AM
what i meant (more clearly) is that the eye relief distance on that scope would put it just behind the bolt to view comfortably, wich would cause the clip to wang it on the way up. it would seem the simple fix is use a fixed scout scope with more distance relief like the burris (wich seems ideal for forward mounting) i gotta go check them out in person, last thing i wanna do is drop a ton of money on a scope i cant use comfortably... thats what im trying to avoid... burris fixed and a fastfireIII ontop seems to even it out for 0-300y (original idea was for a mini-G, that leup^, and a deltapoint ontop) forgive me here but im gonna nerd it up for a sec, to me, building my first rifle is like a jedi constructing its lightsaber, its a extension of you, something that may save you and yours lives, and i wanna do it perfect... :D and this is the place where that all starts happening. i dunno, heya Tim, what would you say the distance from the front of the bolt face to the avg shooters eye is (i tried to measure it by measuring a pic and using manufacture specs to make an educated guess, i dunno if i did it rite)

LMAO, the distance from the front of the bolt face to the average shooters eye? Probably 11"

Jim Oliver
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
When I was selecting a scope for my rifle, I called Burris and asked what distance the parallax on their pistol scopes is set for; 50 yds.

I went with a Leupold 4x pistol scope, parallax is set for 100 yds. My scope is mounted far enough forward that ejection of brass isn't a problem.

The so-called scout scopes have less eye-relief than the pistol scopes, so need to be a bit closer and could be hit by brass.

Jim

Zwara
01-29-2013, 11:24 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-2-75x-heavy-plex-mat-scout-scopes.html fixed dist. has better eye relief than variable scope. the pistol ones have the longest relief but its almost too much at cost of paralax. the one i linked seems to be a perfect fit. and they dont taste to bad either... giggity