PDA

View Full Version : Powder Gone Bad????

musketjon
05-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I've got a couple of pounds of IMR 4350 that a friend gave to me several years ago. It doesn't smell acidic or have a pungent odor to it but when I pour it out of the cans into another vessel it emits a very fine, rust-colored dust that clings to anything it touches. The inside of the cans show no obvious signs of rusting. Is it still useable or is it a spontaneous-combustion scenario waiting to happen? Is it time to pour it on the lawn or flower garden??
Thanks
Jon

timshufflin
05-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Musketjon, did you get an answer to this on any other forum? I would not use it and wonder if I'm being a big sissy.

musketjon
05-28-2011, 12:36 AM
The general concensus seemed to be to feed it to the lawn or flowers so the lawn got a snack.
Jon

M1orNone
05-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Whatever the red dust is, rust, etc., I would imagine that it could possibly change the burn rate of the powder, so I would toss it. That's just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't chance it.

mixmaster
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Do not use! The powder has broken down and as pointed out by another poster. The burn rate will be erratic and unsafe. Sorry but safety first we need you to keep posting these challenges!
Mix

tljames
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
I have / had two pounds of IMR 4895 (in the old metal cans) both were "unopened" and they too had the fine red dust!

I'm still here :)