PDA

View Full Version : Process Started

TommyD11730
02-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi Tim

We spoke a few weeks ago on the phone regarding a Mini-G conversion. Well I started the process. I was not willing to convert my Pop's rifle for sentimental reasons so I purchased one from Dupage. With any luck it should be here late next week. If the ranges aren't still buried in snow Ill get it test fired to confirm operation ASAP. Then back in the box it goes and off to you.

Question. As long as I'm having the conversion done I was wondering about the UtilMAK installation. There site has a lot of info but no photo of one mounted on a standard Mini-G. Do you by chance have a photo of one mounted on a rifle (other then the mag fed one.)

Thanks!

Tommy D in NY

timshufflin
02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
You can find photo's on this very forum Sir. On those Ultimak's they've been running about 4 weeks on backorder.

TommyD11730
02-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the headsup on the photos Tim, I found a few.

The "donor" rifle arrived today. I'm doing my tear-down/inspection as I type this. Right off the bat I like the trigger assembly on my other Garand better. This one has no "eye" to help pulling rearward. Not a big deal I guess I'm learning there are subtle differences when you make so many of something by different vendors.

My question is about the Op Rod Catch. The pin is loosley fit at best, though the pin will only remove in 1 direction. I'm providing a photo to show what I have. My concern is this falling apart (pin popping out) while operating the rifle. For the life of me I cant ever remember noticing the pin on my other Garands op rod catch ever coming apart like this.

Could someone please school me on this!

Thank You!

Tommy D

P.S. sorry for the poor quality photo.

timshufflin
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
The stock and receiver will hold all that in place. Your pin was just not peened over on both sides, seen it many times.

TommyD11730
02-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks Tim, that was "easy". Ill look into giving it a rap at work with a punch. Only because I got fumble fingers and can see loosing the @#$% pin if its allowed to float.

The trigger assembly is shaped like this (http://www.typo.org/~web/guns/m1-garand/trigger-assembly.jpg). Could you school me on the differences between it and the "other (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/4045648790_b62a65720b.jpg)" style on my other Garand.

Thanks Again

Tommy D

timshufflin
02-14-2013, 08:52 PM
The loop is forged and used in early production through almost all of WWII. The non hook was used at the end of WWII till end of production. The non loop has a few variations including a milled hook and non milled hook.

TommyD11730
02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Again thanks for the information. It's a 6 digit rifle. For some reason I figured it would be a lot higher. Oh MAN it takes a bunch of force to open or close that trigger guard for removal. Maybe it's the replacement stock that needs some trimming?

Anyways Ill do my best to get out and shoot it this weekend. Once we know it operates then you can cut it in half. ;)

Thanks

Tommy D

TommyD11730
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Tim

Have you ever considered doing a BAR magazine conversion to these rifles. I mean a mag fed Mini-G in 30-06, that would be something!

TommyD11730
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Tim

Have you ever considered doing a BAR magazine conversion to these rifles. I mean a mag fed Mini-G in 30-06, that would be something!

timshufflin
02-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Tim

Done it with full size garand's, will not do it commercially.

TommyD11730
03-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Ok got the donor out to the range today, it's a winner. Tim I want to make this ready to pack to you. Naturally I want to clean it (it's broken down now) but just how much should I lube it before I pack it away?

Also if I select a trigger job will I be getting my group back? I just added the milled vs stamped trigger guard and would like to get that one back.

Slings, ect should also be removed?

Thanks

Tommy Dowling

timshufflin
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
All parts are returned for trigger jobs Sir. If this is a mag feed you will not get your trigger parts.

TommyD11730
04-16-2013, 12:48 AM
"Shorty" found it's way home today Tim. In a word, Wow! Looks brand new! Trigger feels nice, cant wait to shoot it! Thanks again for everything!

Tommy D

timshufflin
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
I really liked your rifle Mr. Dowling, enjoy it.

TommyD11730
04-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Test fired it with some Milspec Greek "stuff" today. Rifle did well. It's a lot of fun to shoot. The BM59 Brake however sure is a nasty mother vs say my "Smith Iron" brake. That said I don't go to the range to make friends! =)

All kidding aside it's a nice gun. Anyone even considering having one built.. DO IT!

Punch The Clown
04-27-2013, 12:01 AM
The BM59 Brake however sure is a nasty mother vs say my "Smith Iron" brake. That said I don't go to the range to make friends! =)

Keeps the pests away.