PDA

View Full Version : C&R Garand

Zwara
02-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Heya! so besides removal of the bayo lug and possible clip size reduction, if i had a pre-1963 receiver, it would be cash n carry and exempt from the registry (but id still need a NICS check, as thats a req now) and it wouldent be an "assault weapon" cause its curio n relic (makes it sound more like "cookies n milk")? anyways, catch ya later everyone! :D EDIT: i made some calls )OH AND BTW, THIS IS FOR NY OWNERS) that the registration isnt for 1 year and C&R is applicable here, so having a garand in ny isnt a problem for atleast a year, also, no registration needed yet. as for background check, yes, absolutly needed. but garands are good-to-go (and my arent they pretty) im eyeballing a pre-45 garand in jersey, but i prolly will just 1 stop shop here (they are asking 1.2k for a beat up one, not in the best of shape in NJ) so once again Tim is gonna be our M1 right-hand of mini-G... TIM! make 1000 NyG and send em to ny for us! consider it charity! lol, have a good one everybody! -Z ps, if anyone asks who wants the 1000 minis, just say it was Obama! :D

KnickKnack
02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Depending on what day it is and which the way the wind is blowing, the answers from the "hotline" will vary. So far I've heard that the M1 carbine, with or without the bayonet lug, has to be registered, or maybe not, but the magazine definitely has to be registered, however that is suppose to be done. The M1 Garand rifle also either has to be registered, or not, and the bayonet lug removed, or not, depending on who answers the phone. No one answering that phone will commit to their answers being "legal advise" and that disclaimer is also on the Q&A website. The fact is, no one really knows what this new law means and the only way we will find out is when it is challenged in court. "We have to pass the Bill so that you can see what is in it."

MajorD
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Slow down we are not even 100% sure the garand will meet the definition of an aw yet. Until definite language comes out for sure, I won't change a thing. Law is confusing to be sure. In order to be an aw has to have a detachable mag ( god only knows if ny will consider an en bloc a detachable mag under this chapter of the law ( it does under the mag paragraph but that doesn't mean it is included in the gun section) but another section of law states semis with internal mags under 10 round cap would not be considered aw's ( Sks falls here and the m1 is very mechanically similar )
Even after this goes into full effect ( barring the results of lots of legal challenges) you are still allowed possession of currently owned feed devices under ten round cap, and devices over fifty years old ( the vast majority of en blocs) can still be bought after the ban goes into effect.load seven rounds at home and eight on the range ( specific language in law allows up to 10+1 in gun on the range)

KnickKnack
02-14-2013, 10:57 PM
You will have to register all rifles meeting their definition of an AW and all magazines that go with the rifle, regardless of age. Nothing is grandfathered in from registration. No magazine, regardless of age, that holds more than 7 rounds can be sold or purchased in New York State after April 15th. All magazines that hold more than 7 rounds for now can be loaded with only 7 rounds, but going forward they will have to be permanently blocked to hold only 7, even though they say they will allow 10 at the gun range. As the law currently stands, there are no exceptions, even for police officers, so Albany is scrambling to write the amendments before the deadlines. As I said before, the answers on the website have changed at least once since they started it and depending on who you talk to on the hotline, you will get different opinions. There are tons of contradictory paragraphs in the 59 pages of this law, so you can't just assume that one section of it exempts your guns from the other sections of it. The only people right now with the resources to legally challenge this law are the NRA and the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, who have filed a notice of claim. http://www.nysrpa.org/files/SAFENoticeOfClaim.pdf

MajorD
02-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Knick I disagree with your interpretation.
My take:
The law states c&r mags regardless of cap can continue to be bought after the cutoff, and those over 10 rounds will need to be registered.
Over 7 but 10 or less if modern can only be bought up to this April 15th, if c&r can be bought whenever and are not subject to registration
Mags over 7 bought after April 15 th of modern type would need to be modded to 7.
The law states mags of over 7 but ten or less can be loaded to full cap at range or in a match
Not trying to argue but this law is very confusing and if we gun people can't agree just think how crazy the variable interpretation will be from the bureaucrats!

KnickKnack
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
C&R is not even mentioned in the new law. They classify anything over 50 years old as "antique". And you are correct. It is written so poorly that no one understands it. I have stated before that all the Right does now is argue among themselves about what the Left is doing, while the Left continues to take away our Rights and grow even stronger. They have no opposition in their ranks to what they are doing, while the Right can't agree on any solid course of action. This law is a perfect example of how the Left wants to keep us all in confusion. Your interpretation can differ from mine, but the bottom line of the Liberals will not change. While we debate this law, they continue to work toward the ultimate goal of removing all guns. If they can pass this law overnight, it shouldn't be that hard for them outlaw all guns in New York State before the ink is even dry. Registration of some guns is just a precursor to registration of all guns and ultimately confiscation, as Cuomo wanted with this Bill. I have offered information here based on what the hotline has said and what my gun club has learned from the NRA and NYSP&RA, who are filing the lawsuits based on that information. We don't have to worry about how we interpert the law. We have to worry about how law enforcement and the court you appear in after arrest interpert the law.

Zwara
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=KnickKnack;34496] "...the Right does now is argue among themselves about what the Left is doing, while the Left continues to take away our Rights and grow even stronger. They have no opposition in their ranks to what they are doing, while the Right can't agree on any solid course of action..." My dad is a Roman Catholic Marine from Puerto Rico who made his fortune here, a rep, and passed right before 911 from agent orange related cancer, my mom is a jewish hippie from NY and a dem... my WHOLE life has been the 2 sides never agreeing... man my Christhaunukkahsgiving is a FUBAR time of year :P