PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy issue

HerkyBird
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Hang with me on this one.....

Went to shoot Vivien yesterday. Started off just shooting for fun...shooting water bottles, coke bottles, and gallon jugs at 50,75,&100 yds. I was able to get hits, but I noticed I was having to hold pretty low. Took a break to break clays with my model 60 and then decided to see what kind of groups I could get with the mini g. In the past, I was able to shoot 2-2.5" groups at 50 yds and 2.5-3" at 75 without trying real hard and in pretty windy conditions. I have also been able to hit torso-sized steel consistently at 210 off-hand and 250 from sandbags. The wind was calm (for Oklahoma), so I wanted to see just how small I could get the groups. Set a 10" target at 100 yds...couldn't get on paper. Brought it in to 75... Nothing. 50 yards...finally got on paper, but with no consistency and the grouping was atrocious. Something like 6-7". And most of them were WAY high. I'm talking 8-10" high. The rifle has NEVER hit that high. Here are the very first groups I ever shot with her shortly after I got her back from Tim. The first at 75, second at 50. 843842

Point of aim was the bullseye. I wasn't holding low that day at all.

The only thing that has changed since then is that I put a ramline stock on. Could it be binding somewhere and affecting accuracy that much? What I don't get is why I was able to hit 1 liter coke bottles kneeling at 75 but can't get on paper using sandbags. Any thoughts?

Also, what would cause a clip to try and eject with 4 rounds left? Happened once yesterday out of 10 clips. Bad en bloc, maybe?

Orlando
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
I bet if you take off that Ramline Stock your accuracy will come back
I have heard this problem with them more than once before, thats why I try and talk people out of useing them

HerkyBird
02-18-2013, 09:51 PM
I was afraid that would be the issue. I like the look of the wood better, so no one will actually be twisting my arm to put it back on, it's just the synthetic is so much more practical IMO.

timshufflin
02-18-2013, 10:36 PM
I was afraid that would be the issue. I like the look of the wood better, so no one will actually be twisting my arm to put it back on, it's just the synthetic is so much more practical IMO.

I wonder if the ramline has any downpressure on the barrel? I'm not saying that the wood stock has much but on any ramline I've had, it's none. Still though, with a scope I get pretty good accuracy with the ramline. The other thing that the ramline very much lacks in is trigger guard pressure. Usually when I close a trigger guard on a ramline, it takes absolutely no pressure.

grumpyoldretiredcop
02-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Ya put those cheap clothes on your girl, then wonder why she wanders... bet if you put her back in her good clothes she'll straighten out.

Punch The Clown
02-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Three Summers ago, Tim, myself and our friend Stan were shooting a Mini-G at between 125 and 150 yds. Anyway, Tim is an OK shot, I am mediocre at best, and Stan is excellent. All our groups were all over the place. You couldn't even call them groups. After about 100 rounds the problem became evident as the front sight fell off. When adjusting it one of us forgot to tighten the set screw. Sometimes the fix is right in front of you.

timshufflin
02-20-2013, 08:04 AM
One other thing, check your oprod for rubbing on the oprod side. Frankly, check it for rubbing on that stock anywhere.

HerkyBird
02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Three Summers ago, Tim, myself and our friend Stan were shooting a Mini-G at between 125 and 150 yds. Anyway, Tim is an OK shot, I am mediocre at best, and Stan is excellent. All our groups were all over the place. You couldn't even call them groups. After about 100 rounds the problem became evident as the front sight fell off. When adjusting it one of us forgot to tighten the set screw. Sometimes the fix is right in front of you.

I haven't had to adjust the front sight, but I'll look it over and make sure everything is still tight. Thanks.

One other thing, check your oprod for rubbing on the oprod side. Frankly, check it for rubbing on that stock anywhere.

I put the wood stock back on last night. When I removed the Ramline, it was obvious the oprod had been rubbing. I guess I could sand the stock down a bit, but I think I'm just going to leave her in the wood. I prefer the look anyway.

HerkyBird
02-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Ya put those cheap clothes on your girl, then wonder why she wanders... bet if you put her back in her good clothes she'll straighten out.

Lol. Yeah. I think she's trying to tell me something.