PDA

View Full Version : should I re barrel

garandtom
04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey fellas! I recently gauged the throat of my 54 and it gauged 4.5, My marine buddy said its half-way shot out. So should I spend the money and re barrel or am I okay. Thanks guys!

Prince Humperdink
04-10-2013, 12:40 AM
You should be good for a long while with a 4.5,but how does it shoot?I have seen some low ME reading barrels shoot mediocre groups and some high number shoot great.Every barrel is different,but application and use will dictate.

53M1Grnd
04-10-2013, 01:27 AM
garandtom,

IMO I would start by estimating the value and condition of your rifle. Do you want it as a shooter or collector? Condition and originality of the rifle might guide you to that decision. Is it a matching original barrel? Can you find a barrel to match your rifle? Also how much do you want to spend? Barrels are being scooped up by everyone and bringing higher than normal prices.

ME should not be cause to switch barrels unless you plan on shooting a lot. If it's shooting decent groups "Keep It" then find a spare barrel to have on hand when you need it.

Good Luck!!

MajorD
05-09-2013, 09:39 PM
When buying a rifle the me/te is a consideration, but should not be used to judge the need to rebarrel. My brother had a well used match barrel that would literally allow the handle of the te gauge to bounce off the receiver an over ten reject- that rifle still shot several thousand rounds before finally opening up groups- while in reject condition it would still shoot sub 2 moa groups

Old Guard
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Agree, the gunsmith asked me" How clear can you still see both the sights"..I actually had to hold up the stock and take a peek...What he meant was,My rifle barrel guaged 3.5 te and 1.5 muz.. with the right ammo...It might be tight enough to do what i can see...Saved me spending about $325.00.. on new barrel. Especially if I am not handloading the bullets..I like to shoot military ammo...HE has shot for years at Camp Perry, I regard him highly...my2 cents...

timshufflin
06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm with these guys, how does it shoot, that's all that really matters.

garandtom
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
I forgot about this thread! Sorry guys... My rifle shoots awesome, Just put some newer parts on her and it runs better than ever before!

Old Guard
06-06-2013, 08:41 AM
I forgot about this thread! Sorry guys... My rifle shoots awesome, Just put some newer parts on her and it runs better than ever before!

Glad to hear it...Enjoy..