PDA

View Full Version : m14 flash hider on a garand

garandtom
04-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Like the title says is it possible?

dogboysdad
04-16-2013, 06:05 AM
I could only wish for such a thing. Tim says no.

timshufflin
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
It is possible and has been done. It is not profitable though.

Eli
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Considering that the flash hider was the top cause of failure on the M14, why would you want to?

Eli

Orlando
04-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Considering that the flash hider was the top cause of failure on the M14, why would you want to?

Eli
Eli I meant to make my own post with a quote and accidentally did it on your post and deleted it

What kind of failures do you mean?

Punch The Clown
04-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Probably bullet strikes. They were good for that.

Eli
04-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Eli I meant to make my own post with a quote and accidentally did it on your post and deleted it

What kind of failures do you mean?

No problem - I've almost done that myself!
They get bent. A LOT. I saw a chart of the rates of failure, and the flash hider & front sight assembly was by far the leading cause.

Eli

buckshot85
04-18-2013, 09:44 PM
No problem - I've almost done that myself!
They get bent. A LOT. I saw a chart of the rates of failure, and the flash hider & front sight assembly was by far the leading cause.

Eli

I could see that happening in combat, but, do not think it would be an issue for a shooter. Besides, you could do the NM ream job to it. It would be pretty tits looking.

Eli
04-18-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd only consider a Vortex if I wasn't using a Tri-Comp. SEI sells plenty of GLFS assemblies for M14 clones, and with good reason.

Eli

Old Guard
05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Okay, so can a Vortex be welded to the lock piece...I have heard of the three blade original designs blowing off one of the prongs..Any details?

timshufflin
05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Okay, so can a Vortex be welded to the lock piece...I have heard of the three blade original designs blowing off one of the prongs..Any details?

I'm sure it could be, all you need is someone willing to do it.

Eli
05-28-2013, 08:38 PM

I've been trying to get Ron Smith to make more Garand Vortex flash hiders, he says there's just not enough demand. They're 8620 tool steel, same high-grade stuff as the receiver!

Eli

buckley94thmp
05-29-2013, 12:09 AM
I guess the question is what is the magic number for him to be willing to tool up and produce a limited run?
If we had a price point and a number he needed to sell we could attempt to garner support for a group buy

Old Guard
05-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Yes sir, I meant that I would not want to cut up my M-14 stuff..The 1/2 by 28--Vortex can be had for about $30.00?I have access to some very good equipment and talent at work... Backpressure is also a concern..The Smith design is very nice, but a little bit on high side of cost, but I assume very effective...I like the one on the barrel on your Mini-g rifles, it did look to be secured by more than the lockpiece... Even at over 60, it would be something cool for the rifle..I don't get to go to the Lakeland range here as to the membership fees..so I don't get to research this idea much..Have a wonderful day, it is very nice here and expected to be Clear and 85 deg...Thanks for the help and Ideas..OG. Ps ..Tim i am going to add a line to see what other have on their barrels..OG.

Old Guard
06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Okay, bought several available types..The gas plug is going to be in the way..Now i need machine work, unless i can find a spacer, between barrel and the device..Anyway it will NOT be my M14 hider for certain..Later..OG.

Old Guard
10-15-2013, 05:06 PM
I have not given up yet on finding a good spacer.Meanwhile,I bought an BM-59 e-type flash hider from here, and it looks great.. Only added about 3inches to the end..It is compensated more on the right for recoil,,,,I can try again ,now following Baretta's lead, and development..