PDA

View Full Version : Stock Fitment Issue

TommyD11730
04-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Guys

I have a Mixmaster Garand I purchased back in the 80's. Had a barrel replaced on it loaclly way back when, and basically haven't shot it much till now.

Considering how loose the gun is in the stock it's really a good shooter. Seriously you can stop laughing it does shoot well! Ok so what if I have a few cereal box "shims" wedged between the trigger groups and the stock to take up some space!

What I'm getting at is I like the stock. Can I make some delron shims or the likes (to replace my cardboard ones!) so I can keep shooting it?

Thanks guys!

Tommy D

LEAD POISON
04-26-2013, 11:50 PM
magnet tape cut to size.on both edges,wood vaneer strips.
Ask Orlando, or Sean or Mr Borecki

precision32
04-27-2013, 02:04 AM
The GI way to tighten up the action is to peen the two small tits that lock the trigger group in the action. If that does not seem like an option you can replace the trigger guard with one hat has better locking lugs.

Orlando
04-27-2013, 07:02 AM
The GI way to tighten up the action is to peen the two small tits that lock the trigger group in the action. If that does not seem like an option you can replace the trigger guard with one hat has better locking lugs.

That only helps some "if" the trigger guard lugs are flat.

To the OP:
If wood is compressed the only 100% way is bedding the stock.
You can add shims as already suggested ,I glue in thin walnut veneer and stain
If you are using more than one thickness of cardboard now the stock is either very comressed or it is a combination of compressed wood and flat lugs.
May want to check you lugs as suggested then shim as needed. Peening the lugs doesnt seem to hold up very long and gaurd may just need replaced
Good luck

TommyD11730
04-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks Guys

Ill have to shoot a photo of the stock. I believe it's been munched (tech term for missing wood!) right where the trigger guard meets the stock. So perhaps its not so much compressed as missing wood!

Ill check the guard. I have a spare one (like you see on the left) that I replaced for looks only. Perhaps its got better lugs.

Really hate to dump this one. Quick story..

Pop's was a WWII vet ( China AVG ) and I purchased this for him to shoot back in the 80's. Not thinking he was a lefty, he might have been better off with an 03. Anyways we take Dad down to the range. It was a quiet day (you know back in the day before the ranges were super crowded!) and the range officer suggested setting up bowling pins vs targets. Dad's eyes weren't the best and it seemed like a very good idea.

Pops gets seated, chamberd a clip and cranks off a round. I'm watching in disbelief as this non sighted old rifle cuts a pin in half, on it's first shot! Dad locks the safty to on and motions for me to come close so I can hear him, before he can say anything the range officer and I are telling him "nice shot".. ect. Pop's just smiles and says "That's not the pin I was aiming at!".

Didn't have many "fun" memories of my Dad, but that sure was funny!

Thanks for listening.

Tommy D