PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and questions...

lebel409
05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi All,

I have a fewsporting rifles, pistols and a Mini-14, retired and playing in my workshop fulltime. I've been thinking about a semi automatic .308, started looking at DPMS, AR-10, etc, then saw someone mod a Garand with a BAR magazine...and found this page and the BM-59. This seemed to be a decent answer to my want (not need:D), but looking at the weight it's made me stop and think...

If you can have an aluminum receiver on a AR, why can't you have one on a Garand? Why does the op rod need to be so heavy? Could the piston and chamber be lighter?

What I envision...an aluminum receiver with interior replacable wear plates, flattened sight hump but with full length integral picatinny rail (and brass deflector), lighter op rod and piston system...and a match barrel. To honest I like a traditional wood stock so i'd leave that alone...just to confuse Pelosi, etc...

I understand that many collectors are fiercely defending the Garand as a tribute to Veterans and don't want any of the historical value diminished by modifying these...and other want something more shootable like Shuff's excellent offering. I'm thinking making them into something closer to an AR and more up to date.

OK bash away.

ordmm
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi All,

I have a fewsporting rifles, pistols and a Mini-14, retired and playing in my workshop fulltime. I've been thinking about a semi automatic .308, started looking at DPMS, AR-10, etc, then saw someone mod a Garand with a BAR magazine...and found this page and the BM-59. This seemed to be a decent answer to my want (not need:D), but looking at the weight it's made me stop and think...

If you can have an aluminum receiver on a AR, why can't you have one on a Garand? Why does the op rod need to be so heavy? Could the piston and chamber be lighter?

What I envision...an aluminum receiver with interior replacable wear plates, flattened sight hump but with full length integral picatinny rail (and brass deflector), lighter op rod and piston system...and a match barrel. To honest I like a traditional wood stock so i'd leave that alone...just to confuse Pelosi, etc...

I understand that many collectors are fiercely defending the Garand as a tribute to Veterans and don't want any of the historical value diminished by modifying these...and other want something more shootable like Shuff's excellent offering. I'm thinking making them into something closer to an AR and more up to date.

OK bash away.

Here you go. Meets most of your specs. At 7.5 pounds advertised quite a bit lighter than a M1 or M1A. Probably lighter than the latest .308 AR10. Wood stock, no sight hump, lighter op rod/gas system. Has a full floating barrel for accuracy. Probably even legal in your state. No rail or brass deflector, but am sure some kind of rail could be added at no great expense. Mag fed, and available in a bunch of calibers. In this neck of the woods have seem the rifle as low as $300. for a well worn example.

Easy money, here 'ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_742

Punch The Clown
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Here you go. Meets most of your specs. At 7.5 pounds advertised quite a bit lighter than a M1 or M1A. Probably lighter than the latest .308 AR10. Wood stock, no sight hump, lighter op rod/gas system. Has a full floating barrel for accuracy. Probably even legal in your state. No rail or brass deflector, but am sure some kind of rail could be added at no great expense. Mag fed, and available in a bunch of calibers. In this neck of the woods have seem the rifle as low as $300. for a well worn example.

Easy money, here 'ya go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_742

Greg, I happen to think the Remington is a nice looking gun buttttt-They're 50 years old, not user friendly to strip and clean, never were famous for their accuracy or reliability, parts aren't that easy to come by, and it doesn't look badazz. But somehow I think you already know this!!!

This is badazz-and it only weighs 1.5 lbs more than the plastic rifle.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo140/Stumedic/More%20BM69%20Pics/bm6919.jpg (http://s369.photobucket.com/user/Stumedic/media/More%20BM69%20Pics/bm6919.jpg.html)

lebel409
05-21-2013, 06:49 PM
This isn't because I can't find a .308...Browning BAR, FNAR...even a Winchester model 100 would work. I just think the Garand has more potential left in it using some newer techologies...

ttwn0324
05-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Not with the way the Garand locks up you won't. Not to mention the heel problems you'd encounter. Course, I've been wrong many times.

Old Guard
05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Nice wood M14 handguards...Like the clean front-end too...Much prettier than a 742 woodsmaster...