PDA

View Full Version : Quick op rod spring question

Jimbo Slice
06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
So I ordered a new op rod spring from Numrich. I took the old one out, it looked visibly worn and just generally in rough shape. It measured 19.50 inches long.

I have come to understand that max length for an op rod spring is 20.25" when not compressed. The new spring Numrich sent me measures 21.25 uncompressed.

I know that rules are rules, but what exactly is the risk I run of putting this thing in my rifle? I'm kind of getting sick of having to return parts to Numrich (this will be the second time, the first time was when they sent me a rusty, pitted gas lock that actually had dirt in the threads).

Any info is appreciated.

timshufflin
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Biggest risk I know is short stroking. I can't think of any risk to harm your rifle.

Jimbo Slice
06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
So yeah, I decided to try and install the thing into my rifle just for kicks. As it turns out it won't even fit in it's place. I'm an idiot for not just ordering the Orion 7 spring and will do so later this afternoon.

Old Guard
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I ordered this orion spring set too..My old spring actually showed grooves..The rifle worked, but i thought better to replace it..Dis not like the firing pin digging into the stock...Fresh gouges... My spare was slightly larger and looks to be stainless.. Will see how it works tomorrow..Orion full set due in next week..Thanks for the data on the true measurement length....

cheech
08-15-2013, 04:51 AM
So yeah, I decided to try and install the thing into my rifle just for kicks. As it turns out it won't even fit in it's place. I'm an idiot for not just ordering the Orion 7 spring and will do so later this afternoon.

Has anyone had any work done by Orion 7 because that's where I'm thinking of sending my M1 to be upgraded.

Orlando
08-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Has anyone had any work done by Orion 7 because that's where I'm thinking of sending my M1 to be upgraded.

Upgraded how???

timshufflin
08-15-2013, 08:56 AM

I think Orion7 does a fine job. I've had some of their work here and it has always looked nice.