PDA

View Full Version : 1903 rear sight base removal

axemurderer
07-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Hello All

Has anyone here had the experience of removing the rear sight base from a 1903 barrel? I need a barrel for my Mark1 drill rifle project. and I saw one on GB with the sight base ground off. hence the question how hard is it to R&R?
Mike

jak
07-06-2013, 07:55 PM
The sight base is usually very very very very tight on the barrel. If any kind of corrosion or rust gets in there, it only make it worse trying to get off. The sight base is destroyed by beating on it while you're trying to get it off the barrel.

axemurderer
07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
OK, but if you do not care about the FUBAR base that you are taking off IS it hard?

Mike

The sight base is usually very very very very tight on the barrel. If any kind of corrosion or rust gets in there, it only make it worse trying to get off. The sight base is destroyed by beating on it while you're trying to get it off the barrel.

buckshot85
07-06-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure why you can't drive the pin out, capture the barrel in a vise with blocks, heat the base and drive off. Better yet, add dry ice to the barrel in a wrag, then drive off.

dogboysdad
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Drill a hole in a 2x4. Slide it up to th base and beat on the wood with a hammer. Kroil on the base will help things too.