PDA

View Full Version : WWII reeneactment in Peabody Kansas

Schriv
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Peabody hosts an annual Memorial day event that is a little different than many of the events we do. Instead of 'fighting' out in the woods or in the town park, we hold a public battle in the middle of town. They have a restored 1880's downtown district that is closed off for the public battle and it allows the crowd to get a close up look at the weapons in action.

http://www.tomandrewsphotography.com/Other/2011-Peabody-WWII-Reenactment/17272112_KsLpXz#1311408384_xBQtcLf

Public battles are pretty much scripted events and are used to entertain and educate the public. For this years event, I was with some of my fellow airborne reenactors on the U.S. side. I had my Browning 1919 but my A gunner couldn't make the trip. Manning the gun single handed was bad enough, but having to carry it already mated to the tripod was a bitch. But it did let me get her into action pretty quick.
And I have got to lose the weight I have picked up sitting behind a desk for the last two years!! Either that, or I start doing a cook/baker impression and open my own field kitchen. :p

Anyhow, I'm the 101st ABN Tech5 with the Browning in these pics. And no, despite the 506th emblem on my helmet, I'm not part of Easy Co.
I do a Regt. HQ company, Comm platoon impression. Usually field wire/phone section or HQ. MG team.
Don't look for any tactics or common sense in these pics. There is no way I'd be running my gun with nothing put a picnic bench for cover on a city street if it wasn't for entertainment purposes!!!! Nevermind the belt strung out all over the place. No A gunner, and no ammo bearer for this event, so it was a one man show.

toolman
05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Very awesome!! peace toolman

Prince Humperdink
05-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow,kind of strange seeing elements of das Heer und Waffen SS running down American streets!We had some good Soldiers to kill and capture all of the Germans with no casualties on Our side ;)

llurpirate
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I bet that brought some excitement to the small Kansas town of Peabody!!! Looks like a fine way to spend the weekend.

poiuyt
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Man I wish I would have known this was going on. I'm Only 30 min south of Topeka, could have been there. Do they do this every year?

Schriv
05-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, they put this event on every year. There is a similar event in El Dorado every year to celebrate veterans day in November. A city sponsored parade followed by a public battle.