PDA

View Full Version : match barrel

mark2112
05-30-2011, 07:17 PM
how do i know if my barrel is a match,the book tells me if it has a 2-56 in my serial number range its supposed to be match.how would a match barrel be marked???

mixmaster
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
It will be marked with a star and NM or just NM stamped on the forward end of the barrel. These appear on NM rifles from 1953 to 1967.Ser # of the rifle will begin in the5,800,000 serial number range. With that out of the way, A number of NMs were made at various gunsmith shops in the military. Lackland AFB was one and Quantico comes to mind also Ft Mead and Ft Belvoir in Maryland. So it is possible to have a NM out side that serial number range. But the barrel will have one or both marks. We had a lot of NM barrels in stock so it would not suprise me to find one in a none NM rifle! I for one have a 1944 rifle and I was suprised to find an older(justNM marked)barrel. The only acceptable way to prove your rifle is a true NM is with the papers that came with it from DCM.This info comes from my association with these rifles and except for the barrel markings I could be in mistaken.
Mix/Jim