PDA

View Full Version : Would you expect a magazine?

Blockhead
05-31-2011, 01:47 PM
I sold a guy in Florida an M1 carbine recently. The trigger group had some issues (unbeknownst to me) and as a result I offered to take the rifle back or replace the springs. He's opting to keep it. Anyway, he is also complaining that I didn't include a magazine with it. It never even crossed my mind that there is an expectation that when you buy a M1 Carbine that you'll get a magazine with it. Would any of YOU make that assumption? I sent him multiple pictures of the rifle and none included a mag.

canes7
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Not unless it was listed in the ad. I know the CMP didn't give magazines when they sold a carbine.....

Blockhead
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Not unless it was listed in the ad. I know the CMP didn't give magazines when they sold a carbine.....

I pointed out the same thing to him. I think his feelings are still hurt.

MH53GUNNER
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Did you include the service manual, carbine books, cleaning rod etc? Some people want something for nothing. I would never ship any mags in fear of breaking some obscure local law.

Blockhead
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I would never ship any mags in fear of breaking some obscure local law.

Good point, I hadn't even considered that.

paid4c4
05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
When I sell on Ebay I always say in the ad that what you see in the picture is what you get unless otherwise specified. I don't do that here on BT because we all know each other and I don't think there would ever be a problem. While I don't think you owe him a magazine I would probably send him one as a symbol of goodwill. I'm over 700 sales on Ebay with 100% positive feedback mostly selling Harley parts and you know how picky Harley owners are! So I've had to occasionally eat a part, spring, cover ect in order to keep the 100%.
Bill

Prince Humperdink
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I bought My Carbine Years ago,but it did not have a mag,so in answer to Your question,I would say no.
Ryan

REHRIFLE
05-31-2011, 04:26 PM
When buying a carbine, I would not assume it came with a magazine but if I was buying a Ruger 10-22 I would assume the mag came with it. Obviously this is somethng should be clarified prior to the sale, but you are past that point. So as PaidR said, you may want to give him one for goodwill.

redheep
05-31-2011, 04:30 PM
A used item for sale is sold specifically per the description.

If he wants to get a free gun sock, a coupon for 10% off his next purchase, a hat and a t-shirt, he should buy his guns at a chain store. Otherwise, you get exactly what the seller is selling you. If you didn't indicate any accessories were part of the sale, then they weren't.

That's why they're called accessories.

LEAD POISON
05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
I bought 20 carbines from the CMP,not a one came with a mag,but when I sold them I included a correct mag.
The pictures and the add stressed correct mag with the sale.

timshufflin
05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
As soon as I saw this post I immediately came here thinking one of the folks from this forum assumed they should get a magazine with a gun they purchased. Boy, am I glad I was wrong! No, the photo's of a used item, as well as the description, are what's for sale unless noted otherwise. P4C4 is so right in his customer mania attitude and most all vendors strive to deliver exactly the type of product he's talking about including myself. In this case though, I think you would find only a small number of vendors who would fess up a magazine with this rifle. I don't think I would but sometimes I surprise even myself.

BRUTUS
05-31-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd want ammo and a sling....

Blockhead
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM

I'm glad not everyone is a skinflint like yourself :D I did sell him a sling and oiler for an excellent price.

redheep
05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
I did get ammo and magazines with my carbine when I bought it private party, but it was advertised as such.

Some people just want the world, but only want to pay for a small third world country.

melloman
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Send him an old Playboy to go with the old rifle - "Here's your f'n magazine!"

dogboysdad
05-31-2011, 10:42 PM
I bought a double cheeseburger and fries for lunch. It did not come with a 15 rnd magazine. Please forward one ASAP.

REHRIFLE
05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
$clapper$
Send him an old Playboy to go with the old rifle - "Here's your f'n magazine!"

This gets my vote for "Best post of the day"

jak
05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Was this the buyer's 1st carbine ? If so, he may have expected the magazine. But since the mag was not shown in the pictures, the buyer should have enough common sense to figure out it wasn't included.

captain_bob_badfish
05-31-2011, 11:10 PM

and a bayonet ;)

mixmaster
05-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Not showing, not going. Pic tells it all so I don't feel you owe anything but it's up to you and as I have never gotten a free mag with a carbine or clips with a Garand I feel you are clear.
Mix

llurpirate
06-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Agree if it is not in the picture or writting you don't get it. Sometimes people take things for granted and imagine things that really didn't happen. It is always good to get a bill of sale or receipt listing the item or items you have purchased. I have yet to see anyone at the gunshows including magizines. Most all of the carbines are sold without. They do how ever have several available for purchase.

BRUTUS
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
and a bayonet ;)

YEAH!!!!!!! and a bayonet!!!

Frederick
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I bought a Jungle Carbine at a gun show last winter. It didn't have a mag. and I have yet to find one for sale. Lucky me, I have an Enfield that has a mag that fits just fine.
As for the OP , I would offer him a 15 round mag for $30. plus shipping and handling.