PDA

View Full Version : OMG not an other one!!!

axemurderer
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Got my Smith Corona drill rifle today. I think I need some counseling, for this addiction!

Mike

Punch The Clown
08-24-2013, 02:41 PM
There's a $100 barrel floating around on one of the forums. It has your name on it.

axemurderer
08-24-2013, 02:59 PM
barrel and bolt inbound as we speak!

mike

axemurderer
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
11401139113811371141here are some pre dremmel photos

Prince Humperdink
08-25-2013, 11:18 PM
I love those SC's!I see that someone really wanted to destroy that cutoff :(

axemurderer
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Your Grace is correct. this being my 3rd drill rifle welded cut off removal, this is the worst. But I do love resurecting these fine old soldiers. But it aint cheap, truely an act of love!

I may just have to start on 1917s next. Can anyone say North Store!

Mike

Old Guard
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi, I must say I have the Noticed bolts welded tighter , but they did a fair job welding yours up..By chance-- would you have the rear sight to spare for a 03a3..If so how much to part with it??..My drill is chromed too, with a spot on the barrel and reciever.the bolt firing pin was welded on the face...I have not found a hole cut in the barrel..The front sight blade was removed at the tiny pin..The rear sight only has the base left..I am going to try mine out shortly, but it is moot with out sights..Thx OG.

axemurderer
09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
OG

I am sorry I do not. But I do know both Sarco and Numrich have the parts you need, and of course there is always ebay!!!

Mike

Hi, I must say I have the Noticed bolts welded tighter , but they did a fair job welding yours up..By chance-- would you have the rear sight to spare for a 03a3..If so how much to part with it??..My drill is chromed too, with a spot on the barrel and reciever.the bolt firing pin was welded on the face...I have not found a hole cut in the barrel..The front sight blade was removed at the tiny pin..The rear sight only has the base left..I am going to try mine out shortly, but it is moot with out sights..Thx OG.

Old Guard
09-03-2013, 03:14 PM
OG

I am sorry I do not. But I do know both Sarco and Numrich have the parts you need, and of course there is always ebay!!!

Mike

Thank you..I had not considered them..{sarco} as I have been very lucky to find members of both forums, whom had parts for sale..I wonder if the M1 carbine stamped sights will fit the 1903a3? I'M thinking about giving EABY back to the dogs..Later, OG.

axemurderer
09-03-2013, 08:11 PM
No the carbine sight will not work. The carbine sight has a dove tail on the sight, the 03a3 sight is grooved and the dovetail is on the receiver. Not sure about the guts of the sight though.

Mike

PS: got my Smith Corona barrel today, my week end is now booked.

Old Guard
09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
No the carbine sight will not work. The carbine sight has a dove tail on the sight, the 03a3 sight is grooved and the dovetail is on the receiver. Not sure about the guts of the sight though.

Mike

PS: got my Smith Corona barrel today, my week end is now booked.

Okay, Easily missed the detail about the sight mounts..On Barrels for 1903 versions, I assume the service rifles did not have any-welding??yours showed a big Barrel/rec.weld..mine is about 1/4 inch in diameter...I thought it was done at arsenal, before i read of yours..BTW, Addiction, I had the chance to go to CMP SS a few weeks ago, I could not find another drill rifle in the barrel, that I liked enough to adopt.. One of them had a Gorrila weld at the top, with the bolt firmly welded to the reciever...made me queasy in the stomach..as it was nice rec. Og.

axemurderer
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Spun on the SC barrel yesterday. waiting on my finish reamer, so I can finish her up.

mike

mixmaster
10-08-2013, 12:33 AM
I have just restored two alleged drill rifles. The two were actually used to fire salutes and so were really fully operational just plated like the drill rifles and so they looked like DRs.I replaced the barrels and head spaced them and they were ready to go. As to the sights, I had some NOS sights so I was able to replace the plated ones,but no front sights or pins. SARCO has them but they have to be drilled and fitted. Most of the O3A3 parts are very good from SARCO but look out for what appears to be chinese repo parts when you get the barrel bands. I have restored a number of drill rifles and somewhere on this forum the pics are posted. Anyway I saw the work ahead for the resto on that receiver and all I could think of was good old Dremmel! that and time.I want to try an M1 drill rifle but all I have seen are welded to prevent the removal of the op rod. Went to my buddy Elmer and saw what he had done to one and what it took to do it. So I will hold off till I get more info on the M1 DRs
Mix

axemurderer
03-29-2014, 08:53 PM
I do not know how to stop, please help! I just bought two more!

Mike

Brinks352
03-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Please do not stop bringing these beautiful rifles back to life.

Captain Teague
03-30-2014, 12:31 PM
I'll say. Or was learning how to weld.

I love those SC's!I see that someone really wanted to destroy that cutoff :(

axemurderer
04-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Gotta love those hundred dollar 03a3 barrels.

Mike

Mike

Old Guard
05-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Mike

Mike

Mike i finally found that big old pipewrench, In reply to one of the earlier statements, Mine is not a 48 inch, it is a 36 inch..I did see a 48 inch pipewrench in our shop..Monster torque in them..