PDA

View Full Version : Dupage Stock Question

TommyD11730
08-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Hey Guys

I ordered an inexpensive Dupage Unfinished stock set. Need something while I wait for my stock from Sean. I was wondering... I like a light colored stock (see photo below of Garand with light stock). Could I finish sand the Dupage stock out to say 320 or so then apply several coats of Toms's 1/3 alone?

Just wondering how light there unfinished stock sets are to begin with.

Orlando
08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
I beleive all unfinished Dupage stocks are walnut, the light stock in your pic appears to be birch.
Walnut is going to be darker
Toms wax is not to be used as a base finish but just a top coat. You will get varied opinions on Toms but personally I dont like it or use it
Take a rag and dampen it with water then wipe over the bare Dupage stock, this is the approx color your stock will be when finish is applied

LEAD POISON
08-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Hmmm wood bleach?

TommyD11730
08-24-2013, 10:35 PM
I used the Tom's on 1 other stock. Had about a dozen coats of BLO on it before the Toms. The Toms put a bit more "shine" on it then I expected/liked.

What was it about the Toms you did not like?

dogboysdad
08-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I used the Tom's on 1 other stock. Had about a dozen coats of BLO on it before the Toms. The Toms put a bit more "shine" on it then I expected/liked.

What was it about the Toms you did not like?

How about that you can't really add another coat of oil over the waxed finish? The wax prevents the new oil from soaking in and/or bonding with the old finish.

TommyD11730
08-24-2013, 11:37 PM
No Doubt. But doesn't everyone add some sort of protector after they are "done" with a stock?

Orlando
08-25-2013, 07:31 AM
BLO is the protection, I did a experiment a few years back. I put a drop of water on a stock that had coats of BLO on it. I let it set for 24hrs ,The drop had not absorbed into the stock at all. I wiped it off and it left no water spot
Multiple coats of BLO is what you want
Just my opinion others may vary
PS wax is not a waterproofer
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/corrosion/corrosion2.html

dogboysdad
08-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Good link Bill. Another good reason to use http://www.eezox.com/

TommyD11730
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I guess if I wanted a light stock I should have purchased Birch =) I have never used anything other then BLO or Tung oil. Is it possible to "stain" a walnut stock to emulate birch? I would imagine not as its got to near impossible to lighten it.

Orlando
08-25-2013, 12:35 PM
No you cannot stain to make lighter

TommyD11730
08-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I got some brown crayons around here somewhere =)

TommyD11730
10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Ok so here goes nothing...

I got a unfinished Dupage stock to mess with with. Considering the fishing up here isn't all that great it gave me something to do.

Anyhow my first bit of sanding was to make sure the rifle would tilt test.

After that I sanded the exterior a bit... added a little water to raise the fuzz and sanded that some.

I understand black walnut is a fairly open grain wood but man, now that I have about a dozen or so coats of BLO on it you can really see that grain. Heck forget seeing it, if I drag my thumbnail on the stock you can catch it on some of the grain!

So is it possible to sand the stock enough to get a closed grain look, or is it a waste of time?

timshufflin
10-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Ok so here goes nothing...

I got a unfinished Dupage stock to mess with with. Considering the fishing up here isn't all that great it gave me something to do.

Anyhow my first bit of sanding was to make sure the rifle would tilt test.

After that I sanded the exterior a bit... added a little water to raise the fuzz and sanded that some.

I understand black walnut is a fairly open grain wood but man, now that I have about a dozen or so coats of BLO on it you can really see that grain. Heck forget seeing it, if I drag my thumbnail on the stock you can catch it on some of the grain!

So is it possible to sand the stock enough to get a closed grain look, or is it a waste of time?

Sure you can, no problem.

Orlando
10-27-2013, 07:50 AM
What size grit did you use?

TommyD11730
10-27-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure my final grit was in the 200 range. However I did use some 0000 wool after between stain coats. Perhaps that was way too coarse.

Just don't like the open grain look, and the fact the grains actually catch on my thumbnail. Kinda like sticke-em for guns I guess.

TommyD11730
10-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Everyone likes photos... no? I hope I didn't just break the internet!

So what do you think... sand it down to get it smoother... or leave it be?

jak
10-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Everyone likes photos... no? I hope I didn't just break the internet!

So what do you think... sand it down to get it smoother... or leave it be?

I like it the way it is. But it really depends on whether you are satisfied or not.

TommyD11730
11-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Well I put it all together. A little concerned how tight the front hand guard is. It will rotate some, but no fore to aft play.

Orlando
11-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Handguard isnt supposed to rotate, you just need the very smallest amount of fore and aft play.
I like to set mine up so they move but move very little.
Some Bodys stocks you need to remove a small amount of wood off the end where it fits into the lower band "if" its to long. I have seen where the rear handguard is machined to long and it sticks through interferring with the front handguard.
If both handgaurds are OK all you can do is back off the gas lock a rotation?
If they handguards are tight it must be timing perfectly at 5:30 -6 O'Clock??