PDA

View Full Version : What is CMP's long term plan?

ttwn0324
08-28-2013, 10:00 PM
One has to wonder what their plan is when it comes to a replacement riffle for the M1. I can only assume they have started to scratch the bottom of the barrel so to speak with the introduction of the service grade special. One just has to wonder how many receivers they have to keep that up. The odds are slim to none they'll ever sell modified M1A's & M16's. So, the question remains. What will replace it, if anything?

seaninmich
08-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Probably nothing. I forget the actual number, but the Cmp has gajillions in its annuity.

seaninmich
08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
p. The odds are slim to none they'll ever sell modified M1A's & M16's.

Actually, the odds are 100% NONE

timshufflin
08-29-2013, 08:49 AM
This is why people need to quit brow beating others when talk of the Korean rifles comes up. Those Korean rifles may be all that we have in a very short time. The mindset that "we're sick of hearing about these rifles, only the cpm has the quality we deserve" is DEAD, or should be.

ttwn0324
08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I don't know. A lot of political power plays going on with them. Supposedly someone bought them and parts for $26 million. Rumor has it as Century. As I see it the problem with them is the people on our side of the pond see the floor price just falling out if they were to be imported. As usual, it's about money. As for the 781k carbines the Korean's have. Those I would say, if they're not repatriated may never see the US shores again.

ttwn0324
08-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Well, Obama is taking executive action and banning government practice that lets military weapons, sold or donated by the U.S. to allies, be reimported into the U.S. by private entities.

Orlando
08-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Those Korean rifles have been talked about for many years. I remember the Korean Imports in the early 1980's "most" were worn out junkers that Blue Sky reparked just so they would sell.
Bought my first M1 Carbine then, it "looked" new but grouped like a shotgun. I still have it and have since replaced the barrel and stock and its a decent shooter. I paid $150 for it then

timshufflin
08-29-2013, 08:31 PM
My hope is that every last one of those rifles come back.

timshufflin
08-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Punch, could you please edit your message. This is not the War Room.

ttwn0324
09-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Those Korean rifles have been talked about for many years. I remember the Korean Imports in the early 1980's "most" were worn out junkers that Blue Sky reparked just so they would sell.
Bought my first M1 Carbine then, it "looked" new but grouped like a shotgun. I still have it and have since replaced the barrel and stock and its a decent shooter. I paid $150 for it then

Think the Blue Sky imports still color the waters for the Korean riffles. The saga of the Korean riffles is long enough and big enough for a book. Biggest thing is Korea's selling of arms, that we sent them, has just been chapping our military's rear for years. Lee Tae-hoon the Korea times has written articles on the subject. Her is one of his about ammo exports to us http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/02/113_104268.html The Def homepage http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/category/subsection_205.html

And it was Century Arms with the winning. Washington Post "Mark Barnes, a national firearms attorney based in D.C., said restricting these imports made no sense since they were destined for curio collectors. Barnes represents Century Arms Inc., who has spent two years seeking a permit to re-import nearly 80,000 M1 Garand rifles from South Korea, which was used widely by the U.S. armed forces in World War Two."

Punch The Clown
09-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I wonder if Century Arms imports the rifles, starts up a program to sell them, and starts their own internet forum would people leave the CMP forum and start hanging around the CAI forum and suck up to their CEO? Probably not as all the CMP forum members are only interested in shooting sports and not collecting, but just curious.

timshufflin
09-02-2013, 09:56 PM
You can bet your sweet @$$ that if century had the plurality of the rifles available for sale, and started their own forum, they would be worshiped from on high just as the CMP is. Heck, Century might even allow collectors groups to come and "inspect" the rifles if the group was nice enough on their forum.

Punch The Clown
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks a lot. Next you'll tell me there is no tooth fairy.

ttwn0324
09-02-2013, 11:57 PM
I would hope not. They would need a special spot titled "You Mofo's, my gun is worthless now".

Old Guard
09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I would hope not. They would need a special spot titled "You Mofo's, my gun is worthless now".

Not Exactly, Not everyone here or on CMP believe that the Garands are Priceless Relics, But they are a nice piece of work and a Highly effective weapon in the right hands..Did I mention, Robust and easy to operate...Of course, I am New here and Older than a lot of you, but it is my Opinion..I like to soak up Information here and the Cmp forums...And yes I am On the List for a SG-HRA..Sigh.. nearly two months....OG.

ttwn0324
09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, I am sure in the belief they are not relics and and very few are priceless. Lets face it, I'm being sarcastic when I say they would harm value. The perception the riffles would be sold below the current market price is dream. I know I dream of buying two or three for the price of one today. But, I think we all like to tinker with these riffles and would like to continue doing so with out it costing a kidney. As for the CMP it will continue on, with out the support of Government donations, in doing its best to make sure America is full of marksman and when the time come I have no doubt they'll team up, like they have with Creedmoor, to offer something up.

Old Guard
09-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes, since it is Century Arms, I bet they are Pouring money into some un-named politicians pocket as we speak...But any Bargains out of the deal, nah, Only if they are out of spec....IF past practice is continued...OG.