PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight question

TommyD11730
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Ok so about 20 years ago I replaced the rear sight with a S & K scope mount on my Garand. Well last night I discovered the old rear sight and decided to reinstall it.

I noticed something "odd" (well odd to me). Every 4th click of windage left and if your not careful the sight moved 1 click up. I did tear it down, several times and lube it up good. It seemed as though the more I used it the less frequently it happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tommy D

ttwn0324
09-01-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm going to assume windage right and it would move down? Sounds like a little binding between the elevation pinion and windage knob. Could be crap between The screw and windage knob. Probable just keep working it, cleaning it. How does the elevation feel when you turn it? Does it fell like it binds up in one spot every turn?

TommyD11730
09-02-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm going to assume windage right and it would move down?

You know what they say about "assume" right =). Believe it or not Windage right does not bring down the elevation. Only the 4th "click" on windage left and if I'm careful and turn the knob very slowly it doesn't happen every time. I believe the tighter I make the screw/reciever on the windage side the more often it will occur as well.

PolishCannon21
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Make sure the elevation pinion is not bent. It will make the windage knob lock up and raise the aperture. I had one that was bent slightly and it did what yours is doing. I just got another elevation pinion and it fixed it.