PDA

View Full Version : GCA convention news from Orest

Brinks352
09-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I am sure some of you have seen this already. Thought I would share

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=117196

I don't know how I feel about them running out of rifles and ammo. The good news I suppose is after the IHC release I will have more money for my BM-59 builds that will go Tim's way :)

Orlando
09-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Those of us who have been in the Grand game for awhile have been through this before.
Wasnt that many years ago CMP was said to almost be out of Garands with no more coming. Wasnt long after that they came out with some of the nicest I have seen .It isnt over yet, the fat lady hasnt sung

Brinks352
09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Well the fat lady might not have sung yet but my gun fund sure has had enough :)

ordmm
09-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I am sure some of you have seen this already. Thought I would share

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=117196

I don't know how I feel about them running out of rifles and ammo. The good news I suppose is after the IHC release I will have more money for my BM-59 builds that will go Tim's way :)

You missed the best part.....

One thing John didn't mention is that when they strip down the drill rifles for their planned parts sales they will be demilling the receivers to take them out of the system. Don't look to see many more drill rifles available for sale for very much longer. CMP is going into the parts business with whatever they don't need for their builds. Also, CMP will be opening a custom and service shop where they will offer barreling, bedding, probably parkerizing and other custom services. Orest basically said for those of you doing that now there will soon be a new competitor to deal with in the business.

Larry

ordmm
09-08-2013, 12:28 PM
If indeed what Larry said is true, can kind of understand some parts of it. Does'nt mean all of it sits well with me, but when you approach it as a business model it makes sense I guess. One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of the CMP customers pay their money and demand superb customer service to the point of sometime in my opinion is over some kinda anal stuff. But that being said, and since the people have money they want to spend why not concentrate on a customer friendly product? So instead of sending out rack and field grades, why not brake 'em down, overhaul/refinish them, and then stick a $995. price tag on them. Some time ago a lot of us I expect looked at the whole deal as kind of a treasure hunt finding some cool parts. But at this point I think most of the good stuff is getting harvested off the rifles anyway so getting, say a flush nut rear sight is not going to happen. As far as the drill rifles go it's probably easier to strip them and wholesale/trade/scrap the receivers. I think it sucks, but the CMP business model seems to be heading towards more of a "cultured" mass market crowd. Wish they would stay away from the gunsmithing and such as that in my opinion erodes the small business end of shooting sports. But since they have a new range coming on line I guess it needs a "pro shop". Have to admit the CMP business model can't be duplicated considering their congressional mandated access to Gov't surplus property. The main part that frosts my ass has been discussed before about they can access surplus firearms as mandated by the Gov't, but Gov't says private business can't.
Anyway, it's all just my opinion and don't want to start a crap storm. Have seen enough of that the last two days with the Hambone issue dominating the world shooting scene. Oh yeah...Save a receiver and have Tim convert it into a mag fed....makes a bitch'in hunting rifle! (plus hopefully I'll sell some parts for it) Forgive me for the shameless plug.

timshufflin
09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
I love cronyism.

MH53GUNNER
09-25-2013, 11:37 PM
There are literally crates of Garand receivers that the CMP uses to build rifles. Will have to find the pics and post. Anyone remember the dry times when we thought the days of the Garand were over? Not only did the Garands return but Carbines, 1903 and Enfields.
I would love to be able to purchase some of the parts the CMP has in inventory.

Orlando
09-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I would love to be able to purchase some of the parts the CMP has in inventory.

You can soon, very soon

timshufflin
09-26-2013, 08:13 AM
I wish I could just have the parts given to me and then I could sell them. I think that would make me more competitive.

MH53GUNNER
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Tim,
Maybe if you ask real nice Orest will help out.

ordmm
09-27-2013, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=MH53GUNNER;39007]There are literally crates of Garand receivers that the CMP uses to build rifles. Will have to find the pics and post. Anyone remember the dry times when we thought the days of the Garand were over? Not only did the Garands return but Carbines, 1903 and Enfields.
I would love to be able to purchase some of the parts the CMP has in inventory.[/QUOTE

We'll see when the parts go on sale, whenever that is. One thing is for sure, the CMP has gotten pretty in tune with what the market will bear in regards to pricing. They used to underprice product at times in the past but really doubt they are going to be any giveaways for parts and accessories.