PDA

View Full Version : Stock wood types used

Old Guard
10-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi, how many different types of wood have you found for the stocks for the garands? I know of walnut, and some other white looking woods? I have one at the house I just bought and it has very nice grains, but no proof marks of any kind??;Confused;

Punch The Clown
10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Walnut-2 kinds. American and european, beech in europe, birch, mahogany in the Philippines, chu wood (spelling?) in korea and teak for the BM59 in indonesia.

Old Guard
10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Walnut-2 kinds. American and european, beech in europe, birch, mahogany in the Philippines, chu wood (spelling?) in korea and teak for the BM59 in indonesia.
Cool, any others ?? I thought I had read of Beech- before? Birch, wonder if that is it..mahogany would be sweet too....I had read of Black walnut too...I wonder about the Monkey wood that is on my 14-s rifle?

jak
10-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Pictures of the stock would help.

Old Guard
10-15-2013, 04:21 PM
I wish I could do pictures..So far only had limited success with my son's help. I managed one photo to the cmp forum, with his cell phone, from photoshop..I only use a flip phone when needed.. the stock is the lightest wood color i have ever noticed..Right now i am stripping it down to bare wood..I bought it on ebay, and they had already removed a lot of the finish..it had 4 digit number stenciled heavily across the stock about 3 inches from the butt plate..I appreciate all the helpfull guys here on this site. OG.

Old Guard
10-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Just Looked at Orlando's stocks for sale here..It seems that his #3 is the same texture as my trial stock..So that means it is birch..I know it feels rough, but i assume that is from the cleaning and possible washing which raised the grain..it is not real smooth, but i intend to sand it with fine grit, before the BLO...It will be Raining here tomorrow, so i will dive in,,wish me luck..OG.

timshufflin
10-15-2013, 08:00 PM
What about the plastic?

Old Guard
10-17-2013, 09:11 AM
What about the plastic?

Thanks for that one, I did see the brown plastic stocks on the parade or dewat rifles at the Cmp south store..I understand they are not good for shooting..or as accurate as a good wood stock.. I did get the BLO out yesterday and rub down the old danish stock that I have..I had forgotten that ODOR from BLO..

ttwn0324
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM
From what I've been told, all USGI M1 Garands should be walnut. Anything else is blasphemy.

Old Guard
10-18-2013, 12:12 PM
True enough..Walnut is the best, just cannot afford Bastong type..

Old Guard
10-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Well that old stock soaked up a light coating of Blo, I am still looking for its character?? Maybe it is with-out one??

ttwn0324
10-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Here's a link with a bunch of info on M1 Garand Stocks & M1903 Stocks. http://www.trfindley.com/pgstkrest.html

Old Guard
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Here's a link with a bunch of info on M1 Garand Stocks & M1903 Stocks. http://www.trfindley.com/pgstkrest.html

Awesome, I would have never found this site..Thanks..I only have the one stamped stock..the others I bought had been sanded or were not marked..it is nice to see these..I knew that Tim had the stamps, because i saw them in his work..