PDA

View Full Version : Lasik?

canes7
11-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm seriously considering doing Lasik surgery to correct my vision problems. I've been wearing contacts for 27 years and am sick of 'em, especially when they fall out right before a match! One thing that has me worried is that I read some people still have to use glasses/contacts afterwards. Still having to use contacts would totally defeat the purpose of the surgery.

So if you've had it done, and you feel like sharing, let me know what the outcome was for you. Include your prescription before the surgery and what the outcome was. Do you still need glasses/contacts?

Thanks in advance..

kwg020
11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I had it done 11 years ago. It is worth every penny. I was 49 when I had it done. I only use reading glasses now. kwg

spd556
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Had it done last February. Worth every cent. I don't remember what my vision was before, but I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face. Everything was pretty much blurry unless it was right up real close. Vision settled after the LASIK at 20/15 in both eyes. I work nights and the star/blur effect of lights at night was an issue, but went away after a couple of months ( or I just don't notice it anymore).

It was awesome waking up and being able to see without searching for my glasses. I say "was" because now it's so "normal", as if this is how it was suppose to be all along.

I was told that eventually I will probably need reading glasses. But all is good.

LEAD POISON
11-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Now that you read all the good news.
Check the other revues on google or what ever.I have many acquaintances.With not so good results.
I'm NOT trying to discourage you,Just check it out.
Really, Good luck on what you decide.
LP

jak
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I had lasik done about 13 years ago when I was 47. The eye doctor came right out and said because of my age I would need reading glasses after the surgery. I was around 20/60 in both eyes. Anything more than 15-20 inches away was out-of-focus. After the surgery it was 180 degree turn around. Everything over 15-20 inches away is in focus and everything closer is blurry.

Like spd556, I got the "star" effect around any light at night. It is annoying at first but it eventually goes away or it's not as noticeable

At my last checkup my distant vision was still around 20/20 but I could tell it is gradually getting worse after 13 years.
My near vision is getting slightly worse too. I need a little bit stronger reading glasses now.
I have prescription glasses, but I buy the cheap bifocals in Walmart or Dollar General for about 10 bucks. I have them laying
all over the house and in my car and truck as I only need them for reading or close up work

Canes7, if you are wearing the soft contacts you should be ok to go. But if you are wearing the hard or "gas permeable" lenses, like I did, then you have to stop wearing the lenses for about 3 months or until your eyes readjust to not wearing the hard lenses anymore.

As for rifle shooting with the way my eyes are now, the rear peep hole is blurry and out-of-focus, but the front sight blade is still in focus.

canes7
11-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

LP - I've Googled the crap out of Lasik reviews and have only come up with a few small problems. It was almost as if the whole internet had been scrubbed. Links to bad reviews would help.

LEAD POISON
11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
http://www.realself.com/review/bad-lasik

canes7
11-25-2013, 11:22 AM
So far so good! Had the procedure done on Friday afternoon. On my way home all I could think is WTF have I done?!?!? Then when I woke up form the prescribed 5 hour nap I coud se and all was comfortable.

So far I'd highly suggest it.

timshufflin
11-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Good for you Canes7! I did this about 3 years ago and at the time my close vision was just starting to go. My doctor warned me that after the surgery, if I did both eyes, that I would lose my close vision but that I'd have great far vision. My buddy was able to do one eye for close and one eye for far, he's had great results with the mono option but I tried that with contacts and my brain would make it work.

I now have hunters eyes. Everything out far is crystal clear at 20/15 in left eye and 20/20 in right eye. I do find that I need more light to see good but I was warned about this up front. I have no halo affect, which some get, and I have MUCH less dry eye than I did with contact lenses. I had to make a move because my contacts were starting to give me infections. I was getting real problems with red eyes, almost like I was allergic to the contacts. It looked like I was on the hippy lettuce all the time. I now need +1.25 lenses to read but I could care less. Everybody loses their close vision on or around the age of 47 anyways so I'd have to get reading glasses at some point.

Stu had this done and regrets it all the time. He had good close vision before his surgery and his far vision was not the dramatic fix mine was.

If you know and accept the pros and cons before you do this, I believe that most everybody will be happy with the outcome.

canes7
11-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I had been wearing contacts for about 27 years. I was done with them and was worried about continued use. I read all the warning as probably did much more research than most. I understood that I'd lose my close-in sight but what the hell, I'd rather have to wear cheaters some of the time than glasses/contacts all of the time.

Punch The Clown
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't do it again. I only needed glasses for driving and shooting. Didn't for close up. Now my close up vision sucks. I need reading glasses and a lot of light to work on fine things. As far as my distance goes,after lasik I had 20/15 in the right eye and 20/20 in the left. In a year that degenerated to 20/20 in the right and 20/40 in the left. I can get my left eye fixed under the warranty but I'm not letting anyone touch my eyes again.

canes7
11-29-2013, 01:17 PM
It's been a week now and could b happier!!!

cuppednlocked
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Could or couldn't?

Hopefully the better.

dogboysdad
11-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Good for you Canes7! I did this about 3 years ago and at the time my close vision was just starting to go. My doctor warned me that after the surgery, if I did both eyes, that I would lose my close vision but that I'd have great far vision. My buddy was able to do one eye for close and one eye for far, he's had great results with the mono option but I tried that with contacts and my brain would make it work.

I now have hunters eyes. Everything out far is crystal clear at 20/15 in left eye and 20/20 in right eye. I do find that I need more light to see good but I was warned about this up front. I have no halo affect, which some get, and I have MUCH less dry eye than I did with contact lenses. I had to make a move because my contacts were starting to give me infections. I was getting real problems with red eyes, almost like I was allergic to the contacts. It looked like I was on the hippy lettuce all the time. I now need +1.25 lenses to read but I could care less. Everybody loses their close vision on or around the age of 47 anyways so I'd have to get reading glasses at some point.

Stu had this done and regrets it all the time. He had good close vision before his surgery and his far vision was not the dramatic fix mine was.

If you know and accept the pros and cons before you do this, I believe that most everybody will be happy with the outcome.

What doesn't Stu regret??

canes7
11-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Could or couldn't?

Hopefully the better.

Couldn't. That's what you get for trying to do this forum on an iPhone in a hurry.

cuppednlocked
11-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Glad its going well for you!!!