PDA

View Full Version : If they can't take our firearms, they will take our lead...

Jimbo Slice
11-12-2013, 06:27 PM
What do you guys make of this crap?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors/item/16880-epa-shutting-down-last-standing-u-s-primary-lead-smelter

timshufflin
11-12-2013, 08:21 PM
How would any of you like to be counting on the paycheck from that plant? Cronyism shining on again! I'll write a letter to my Congressman about this, like I did about the stupid light bulbs, but nothing will happen. We don't have but a few industrial jobs left in this crap hole country and the epa takes what little we have?

I was asked this last week during my travels, "So Tim, how high is your tax rate?" I was asked this because I was angry about the tax rate climb in this country. I really blew the question because I gave my tax rate, which hadn't changed much. This isn't what I was angry about though, I was angry about the real producers in this country who have had large tax increases in the last two years. Tax increases on the truly wealthy affect all of us, the wealthy make the jobs. I wasn't quick enough to answer properly, I blew that one.

I bring up the tax thing because it's another example of why we should all care when even one of us gets the shaft. Eventually, if left unchecked, our government will be shafting us all. We all have to care… I have to go write a letter.

timshufflin
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Okay, letter sent to Tim Walberg.

seaninmich
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Okay, letter sent to Tim Walberg.

A sad waste of your time. No one cares. Nothing will improve. The only thing that has, or will, change is your pen now has less ink and you are short a piece of paper.

Jimbo Slice
11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
A sad waste of your time. No one cares. Nothing will improve. The only thing that has, or will, change is your pen now has less ink and you are short a piece of paper.

Better to have less ink in the pen than less lead in the magazine.

Orlando
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Sky may not be falling
http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/sierra-responds-how-will-the-closure-of-the-lead-smelting-plant-affect-sierra-bullets/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/11/last-u-s-lead-smelter-closes-will-this-affect-bullet-production/

canes7
11-13-2013, 11:42 AM

You forgot the $.44.. or whatever it is now...

ttwn0324
11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
This sht been going on for well over thirteen years. http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-35941.html Do your research on green ammo, material supply, and what the ATF considers AP. While you're at it research EPA's assault on mining in general and why virtually no electronic equipment is made here. EPA and big oil working together to make sure no new refineries have been built, even to replace the ones that have shutdown. But you best start with history and getting you head around The East India Company and its influence and infiltration of the British Government. And take note it was there near bankruptcy that brought on the "Tea Act" of 1773, not to mention the bullsht "Iron Act" of 1750, that brought on our rebellion. Anyway, from there it isn't to hard to see the influence global commodity trading houses have. Coupled with china's domestic use policies, you can understand the trend. I will also add as China's & even India's domestic consumer demand goes up, we'll lose all but the least economical manufacturing things to ship (It's happening with major appliances right now). We're headed for a major problem and history is repeating. I will say the EPA forcing the closing of the last ore to lead plant in the USA, is a risk to national security in more ways then just ammo. But, hey! I guess now you understand why you'll pay well over $100 (and in some case $200) for a car battery.

timshufflin
11-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I argue that the sky is falling. I could care less about the lead for bullets, almost 300 people are losing their jobs for nothing.

Old Guard
11-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Good car batterys are over $100.00, The kind that last 5 years or more..I'm going to cross that bridge this winter....Do you know if Battery lead can be reclaimed by the individual, for the processing of bullets..I mean with a hot stove fire out-side, does the lead clean it self of acid and residue...I have only made lead bullets for my Muzzel loader from lead pipe???OG.

Orlando
11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Good car batterys are over $100.00, The kind that last 5 years or more..I'm going to cross that bridge this winter....Do you know if Battery lead can be reclaimed by the individual, for the processing of bullets..I mean with a hot stove fire out-side, does the lead clean it self of acid and residue...I have only made lead bullets for my Muzzel loader from lead pipe???OG.

Why mess with car batteries? Go to local recyling center and buy scrap lead

ttwn0324
11-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Why mess with car batteries? Go to local recyling center and buy scrap lead

Yep, or go to any shop that balances tires and ask for about their used wheel weights. A lot of times they'll just give them to you. The scrap guys have the good stuff "type metal" printers lead.

But, yeah battery lead could be reclaimed by poor mans smelter, very toxic to do. Plus, you'd still need to add tin & antimony. Better off taking the battery to the scrap yard and take trade for printers lead. But, beware that when you buy a new battery there is a used battery core charge if you don't exchange.

timshufflin
11-13-2013, 08:12 PM
toxic lead? Uhm, okay :)

seaninmich
11-14-2013, 12:07 AM
almost 300 people are losing their jobs for nothing.

Um, I believe they are unionized, Tim

timshufflin
11-14-2013, 12:35 AM
Um, I believe they are unionized, Tim

Yah, I would rather have their union butt's working then paying them federal unemployment and new job training.

Old Guard
11-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Yep, or go to any shop that balances tires and ask for about their used wheel weights. A lot of times they'll just give them to you. The scrap guys have the good stuff "type metal" printers lead.

But, yeah battery lead could be reclaimed by poor mans smelter, very toxic to do. Plus, you'd still need to add tin & antimony. Better off taking the battery to the scrap yard and take trade for printers lead. But, beware that when you buy a new battery there is a used battery core charge if you don't exchange.

Toxic, yes, reclaim outside..yeap been the wheel weight route, It already has tin, But they do NOT give the wheel weights away any more..I have some old tractor batterys, is the reason for the questions..Also some lead splicers-pipe...for high voltage buss heads..I have never Bought anything from the Scrapyard, only sold alum cans for the Boyscouts, when I was involved with them..I believe the Core Charge for a Auto battery is now$7.50 here??I keep a spare' bad battery"..

jbkf1003
11-14-2013, 03:03 PM
I argue that the sky is falling. I could care less about the lead for bullets, almost 300 people are losing their jobs for nothing.

Silly Tim, Not for nothing, it's so we can IMPORT yet another raw material from CHINA. So now if we ever have to goto war with China, they can literally refuse to sell us the bullets we need for it. It's part of our Foreign Policy.

Old Guard
11-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Silly Tim, Not for nothing, it's so we can IMPORT yet another raw material from CHINA. So now if we ever have to goto war with China, they can literally refuse to sell us the bullets we need for it. It's part of our Foreign Policy.

Okay, Our newest Gel-cell batterys for ups units and fire-alarm stand-by have been from China for about 4 years..US production petered out about 10 years ago...Tiawan picked it up with Korea, then China busted them...The price went up twice that I know of, from $9.95 a battery to $39.00 for flame resistant types, in the course of ten years..Cheaper from China---NAAAHHH...But Yeahh we will be importing lead products IF we CANNOT smelt them here any more..