PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show today

sandsnow
06-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I went and sold a japanese sword and made moola to buy a Sig P226. Prices are down these days but not in the basement completely.

Donated to CalGuns foundation and Wounded Warriors Project.

I din't see one Garand or Carbine with a price tag. I'm sure it would have been amusing to hear the prices, but just wasn't in the mood. I "heard" someone was asking $2000 for a carbine but was not interested in even checking it out.

MH53GUNNER
06-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Garands and carbines at gunshows here in VA and MD are way over priced. I have often heard the dealer touting about how nice his rifles are compared to the junk that the CMP sells. Prices often range from 1.200 on up.

Garand and Carbine parts are getting real scarce and if you find anything for sale the price will make you walk away.

sandsnow
06-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Yeah, you're way better off looking online

M1orNone
06-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I was sorely disappointed at the last gun show I went to. Several Garands, carbines, and '03's. Not a single one under $1000, and they were all pretty rough. Started a nice conversation with one of the sellers, and asked if any of his Garands were from the CMP. You would've thought that I vise-gripped his nutsack! Couldn't help but laugh at the guy that was selling LC carbine ammo for $600 a can. Don't think I'll go back to that show.

I'm starting to think that yard sales are the ticket to good finds, now, after last summer.

Punch The Clown
06-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Before the days of the internet it was Shotgun News and gunshows. I bought tons of nice firearms that way and had a great time doing it. Back then having to wait a year to get what you wanted was fine. Now waiting a week seems to long.

axemurderer
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
About 6 months ago, I was at the Allentown PA gun show. I watched a guy sell a nice SA Garand to a dealer for 550.00. I watched the guy walk away with the cash, happy. Before the guy ws out of sight that same Garand was up on the dealers rack for 1100.00. The problem is that dickheads buy these and think they are worth the price. They don't know any better.

paid4c4
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I'll be at the National Gun Day Show in Louisville, KY next week and I suspect we'll see the same thing. A lot of these dealers seem like they have a formula centered around CMP rifles. Rack Grade=895 Original USGI Battle Rifle, Field Grade=995 Original USGI Armory re-build, Service Grade=1095 Correct Grade Armory Rifle, CMP Special Rifles=1395 Collector Grade.
I guess if they were to sell a CMP Correct or Collector Grade rifle you'd have to have a Brinks truck. I actually saw a dealer selling barrels which you could use to store beer cans in with a sign saying "used, no break in required."
Bill

Punch The Clown
06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I think internet sales spoiled us. The standard formula in retail used to be "double net". A brick building business has a lot of overhead, unlike online stores. Stu

sandsnow
06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
I will still go to the shows to buy targets, cleaning supplies and misc doodads. Prices are fair on those things.

Still I would go to walk around and see something I want, hold it in my hand and then go buy it cheaper online even after shipping.

What really is starting to hurt is admisson and parking. $13 at the door and minimum $5 to park. More to park if you don't want to walk a mile, which I really can't with my ankles. The people getting a good deal at the show is the venue and the promoter.

paid4c4
06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Louisville is about to price their selves out of the gun show market. 12 bux to get in and 5 to 8 bux to park. I go to gun shows to look around, met people, buy parts/stocks/slings/ammo. I will buy weapons if I find something at a good price that I can't live without. I'm looking for new (ish) SA M1A in the walnut stock, no SOCOM. I don't think I'm taking anything to sell. I'm also looking for the top end to finish an AR15 build which I've been working on forever.
Bill

axemurderer
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
And don't forget those 1,000,000 Garands and Carbines in Korea we are not allowed to have. Their import might just bring down the price, but I doubt it!

toolman
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Went to a gun show this weekend indianapolis area. Had a ton of carbines and garands (asking stupid prices for junk though!) ALSO 20 bucks for me and my son ( he is 13) to get in. And 6 bucks to park! crazy!!!