PDA

View Full Version : Keep the rubber side down dummy...

Jimbo Slice
11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I was headed to work this morning for a little OT. The roads were extremely icy so I left early and drove relatively slow. That didn't help when three whitetails decided to mosey out in front of me. Knowing that I would total the vehicle if I kept driving straight, I decided to take evasive action. I was able to split the difference between the second and third deer, but ended up getting squirrely. I over-corrected and ended up on my roof.

The strangest thing is that I never spilled my morning coffee, and in fact I was just finishing it up when the state police arrived... two hours later.

The car is a total loss, but I'm fine so... can't win em all.

canes7
11-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Glad you are OK. Hopefully you were not too attached to the vehicle.

Old Guard
11-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes, season is open here on whitetail and they are getting on the roads too...I really hate skidding off the pavement..Glad you were not hurt...

Jimbo Slice
11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys.

Well I am a little bummed out because she was such a good runner, but this isn't my first rodeo either and in fact, it was one of the softest rollovers I've ever been in. I've been going over this in my mind since it happened and short of plowing through the herd, I feel I did all that I could have done. Something that I find interesting (other than the coffee) is the coolness with which I reacted immediately following the incident. I remember going over and thinking, "This may hurt" what followed went very quickly.

I'm OK, I think.
Ignition off.
Flashlight? Got it, turn it on.
Headlights off.
Try door... it's not working.
Brace myself and release seatbelt. Roll over onto floor/ceiling.
Try other door. Eureka!
Crawl out...
Turn around and grab smokes.
Walk to the road.

The silver lining is that I found my favorite pocket knife that I thought I had lost. It was laying on the floor/ceiling.

Sorry about the dissertation, but I'm a little amped right now. A few more Irish coffees should do the trick.

jak
11-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Glad you're OK. Deer and icy roads don't mix. Over the years I hit 4 whitetails, swerved and missed hitting at least a dozen more.

Prince Humperdink
11-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Very glad you are ok! I've hit my share of critters.

Jimbo Slice
11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Looking back, it was a really crappy piece of driving. ;)

timshufflin
11-22-2013, 07:32 PM
I was headed to work this morning for a little OT. The roads were extremely icy so I left early and drove relatively slow. That didn't help when three whitetails decided to mosey out in front of me. Knowing that I would total the vehicle if I kept driving straight, I decided to take evasive action. I was able to split the difference between the second and third deer, but ended up getting squirrely. I over-corrected and ended up on my roof.

The strangest thing is that I never spilled my morning coffee, and in fact I was just finishing it up when the state police arrived... two hours later.

The car is a total loss, but I'm fine so... can't win em all.

Between you and Orlando you're starting to scare me. I'm very glad to hear that you are okay.

canes7
11-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I watched a deer run straight into the drivers door of a new BMW while sitting at a light. The libtard got out and didn't even know what kind of animal it was. Once he was told it was a deer you should have heard all the moaning about what beautiful creatures they are and how humans are soooo bad...