PDA

View Full Version : GM Elects New CEO & It's a

ttwn0324
12-10-2013, 04:31 PM
If nothing else showed you the Government controls the board of GM, this surely should.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/dalebuss/2013/12/10/dont-fret-excessive-scrutiny-of-mary-barra-she-certainly-wont/

They stopped short of electing her as chairman though. Not that she isn't qualified or hasn't been groomed for the job. Hope her the best. Will wait for the arse kissing PR to die down to get a better understanding of her rise especially after the bailout. A little background info.

" Ms. Mary T. Barra serves as Chief of Product Development of General Motors Company. Ms. Barra serves as Executive Vice President of Global Product Development & Global Purchasing and Supply Chain at General Motors Company. She served as Senior Vice President of Global Product Development at General Motors Company since February 1, 2011. She served as Vice President of Global Human Resources at General Motors Company from July 30, 2009 to February 1, 2011. Ms. Barra served as an Executive Director of Vehicle Manufacturing Engineering of General Motors Corporation (now Motors Liquidation Company) until July 2009. She served as Vice President of Global Manufacturing Engineering at Motors Liquidation Company from February 1, 2008 to July 2009. She has also held a number of engineering and staff positions, including plant manager, Detroit Hamtramck Assembly Plant; executive director of Competitive Operations Engineering; and general director of Internal Communications for GM North America. She began her career with General Motors in 1980 as a General Motors Institute (Kettering University) co-op student at the Pontiac Motor Division. She has been Director of General Dynamics Corp. since March 15, 2011. Ms. Barra serves on the Kettering University Board of Trustees and Inforum Center for Leadership Board of Directors. She was named one of Automotive News' 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry" in 2005, and again in 2010. In 2010, she also earned Kettering Alumni Association's Management Achievement Award for her specific contributions with positive and lasting effects in the field of management. Ms. Barra received a GM fellowship to the Stanford Graduate School of Business. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from General Motors Institute (Kettering University). She holds an MBA in Business Administration from Stanford Graduate School of Business in 1990."

timshufflin
12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Does nothing for me. GM has only had a single product I could be interested in for the last 20 years. The only product I have liked is the new Camaro, very sexy indeed. The rest of their product line looks terrible to me. I'm a truck guy, their trucks just don't muster in my opinion. I was raised GM, family supported on GM, and I drive Ford. My truck has to pull, look good, be durable, and I like my Super Duty's. The wife has never liked the GM product line, she's tried it and they've been junk for us. The wife likes Jeep but I think they're junk too, at least they look cool though :) Ironically she drives a Honda Pilot now and doesn't care for it much. I say what's not to like, it's non union, it runs, we haven't had to put any money into it. I can't say that for one Jeep she's owned.

seaninmich
12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Treasury sells rest of GM stock, ends bailout with $10.5-billion loss

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-general-motors-bailout-treasury-stock-20131209,0,4629861.story#ixzz2n6rO52pC

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-general-motors-bailout-treasury-stock-20131209,0,4629861.story#axzz2n6rG1mfG

Good call, democrats. Good call!

timshufflin
12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Isn't it funny how in the article on the new GM President that it mentions GM no longer owing the federal government any money. Nope, debt paid in full.

Old Guard
12-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Treasury sells rest of GM stock, ends bailout with $10.5-billion loss

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-general-motors-bailout-treasury-stock-20131209,0,4629861.story#ixzz2n6rO52pC

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-general-motors-bailout-treasury-stock-20131209,0,4629861.story#axzz2n6rG1mfG

Good call, democrats. Good call!

Man, I was just getting ready to put this one up too..Read it just a couple hours ago...Sweet deal for GM...

Old Guard
12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Does nothing for me. GM has only had a single product I could be interested in for the last 20 years. The only product I have liked is the new Camaro, very sexy indeed. The rest of their product line looks terrible to me. I'm a truck guy, their trucks just don't muster in my opinion. I was raised GM, family supported on GM, and I drive Ford. My truck has to pull, look good, be durable, and I like my Super Duty's. The wife has never liked the GM product line, she's tried it and they've been junk for us. The wife likes Jeep but I think they're junk too, at least they look cool though :) Ironically she drives a Honda Pilot now and doesn't care for it much. I say what's not to like, it's non union, it runs, we haven't had to put any money into it. I can't say that for one Jeep she's owned.

Tim, Did you know the Camero is a BRITISH Design, Gm has farmed out their research....But I liked it too, But it made me pull my back trying to get into the seats..Plus has hugh blindspots to the rear view..Anyway, I still wanted that LOUD V-8 until I asked about Insurance quotes>>>

ttwn0324
12-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm not a fan of any. The all have their problems, some more then others. But, I'm a mechanic and tend to drive whatever I feel has the less problems. Last thing I want to do is work on my own vehicle after work. I drove late model 70's ford ( two favorites been 77 F250 Highboy & 79 F250) till MN rust took its toll, then moved to GM. But, when the Super-Duty's came out. I was all over them once the lease returns started to show up.

Old Guard
12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
0324, agreed, I have repaired a lot of them too..Was a Diehard GM person for most of my youth...Bought Three Lemons or unsatisfactory cars and trucks in a row..The best of the three was An S-10 and it last for 14 years steady driving..But their attitude really sucked and a bad design was just that, but they would not stand behind their work ...Currently very happy with Toyota....My son is very happy with his 97 Ford F150,4x4, if it would quit spiting out the plugs...it is one very tough truck.GM may never get me to buy another vechicle and so we both go..

LEAD POISON
12-10-2013, 08:43 PM

my fire engine

ordmm
12-10-2013, 09:27 PM
I would like to comment on the fortunes of GM, but doubt I have any credibility. I owned two Vegas. Not one, But TWO. I hear though, GM does a bit better at their product these days. Barack says so anyway.

ttwn0324
12-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I would like to comment on the fortunes of GM, but doubt I have any credibility. I owned two Vegas. Not one, But TWO. I hear though, GM does a bit better at their product these days. Barack says so anyway.

Take it you moved over to the Dodge Omni afterwards.

ttwn0324
12-11-2013, 03:41 PM

my fire engine

Nice! Folding power mirrors even?

canes7
12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I've was a GM person. I was a professional wrench (of sorts) too. I switched over to Saturn after a few less than stellar other GM's. I thought that maybe it was true that Saturn was non-union and built a better product. I had two. One lasted to 220k before I wrecked it, the other lasted to 170k when I sold it. I tried to buy another but we all know what happened to Saturn. In the meantime my whole family, and in-laws all were happily driving Honda's. So I decided to follow along. I was happy with it at first but after the rear brakes were wore out @ 27k and Honda refused to fix I was less than thrilled. Then the XM radio died, Honda refused to fix at first. No more Honda. I think their head grew a little too big. I drive a Nissan now and am happy with it. Next is going to be an Infinity or BMW.. whatever the wife chooses, it's her turn.

axemurderer
12-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I also stopped driving GM products in 1995, when I bought my first Dodge truck. Have never looked back. I bought them all used. Drove the crap out of all of them. I have never done any major work on any of them.

Mike

timshufflin
12-11-2013, 04:51 PM
The new dodge trucks seem pretty decent but union. The brake issues that Canes has had, had them with two different gm products, one of them twice! Both not covered by warranty in less than 20,000 miles!

ordmm
12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Take it you moved over to the Dodge Omni afterwards.

No Omni/Horizon...but was at the end of line for at least half of the Kenosha built ones. My follow-up ride was a Plymouth Sundance. Got me preferred up front parking in the UAW lot. (even though I was salary--"the enemy). Was a good car for us. Don't know anything about the new head of GM. Would imagine that given the history of the Obama administration meddling in GM affairs, she will be somewhat tainted to outsiders. Only those on the inside know the new leaders capabilities. Auto companies get divided into different camps who can make or break management who are potential climbers. Crazy places.

LEAD POISON
12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Okay I know I shouldn't say this but, I had 2 Pinto station wagons:(

jak
12-11-2013, 07:09 PM

I would laugh but I had a Mustang II, which was based on the Pinto. Worst car I ever owned.

ordmm
12-11-2013, 11:08 PM

Must be us Wisc people with weird tastes in cars........Have had nice cars and shitty cars. Whatever was appropriate to the money being earned at the time. Oh yeah...just thought of it...most factory rats had two cars. The nice one we tried to keep salt free,,,and then the winter beater. The $50 or $75 special to make it through the winter. Ah the good old days.

Old Guard
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I also stopped driving GM products in 1995, when I bought my first Dodge truck. Have never looked back. I bought them all used. Drove the crap out of all of them. I have never done any major work on any of them.

Mike
Ha, Back in the Guard days, we had Two old power wagon 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive, with slanted six and dog-leg shifter that went back over the seat..That dam ole truck had poor steering, but we could not make it fail.. The chevy and ford issues were not near as good in the 70's.
I was still owning checys back then..

Old Guard
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Must be us Wisc people with weird tastes in cars........Have had nice cars and shitty cars. Whatever was appropriate to the money being earned at the time. Oh yeah...just thought of it...most factory rats had two cars. The nice one we tried to keep salt free,,,and then the winter beater. The $50 or $75 special to make it through the winter. Ah the good old days.
I know they salt the crap out of your roads.. We get a very light dose of it here, mixed with coal cinders.. But, I and lots of friends do exactly the same thing here..The real nice stuff waits for pretty weather..Plus it keeps the bad drivers from destroying the pretty toys?