PDA

View Full Version : Any Bourbon Drinkers Here?

jbkf1003
12-12-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm not a big drinker, a glass of wine with dinner, a beer while watching the Bills or Sabres. Last week I got the hankering to try Bourbon for some reason. Maybe it's the Red Neck in me or maybe it's the play of one or both sports teams...

I picked up a bottle of Maker's Mark, been drinking a glass each night, about 50/50 with water, over ice. So far so good. First couple night were a bit of a challenge, but last night it tasted pretty good. What brands do you guys drink straight or with water? My plan is to slowly drop the water content and just go on the rocks, but we'll see.

Should I skip the whole bourbon thing and have gone straight to scotch?

Thanks,
Justin

Old Guard
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Those Kentucky brewers are very proud of their work..the BH and I went on the brewers tour last year in Kentucky..You drive to the Distillerys for a formal tasting and tours..I like the Makers mark samples, and two other brands, Prior to that I had Jack Daniels Black...the doctor actually recommended a single drink a week, sometimes I forget and get two or three a weekend. Mostly like the Coolers or sissy drinks that are sold in a four pak at walmart..No mixxing cool and fresh..I did get the chance to have a big shot of LEGAL moonshine at 130 proof, it almost lit me up..strong stuff..IMHO. OG.

Prince Humperdink
12-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm not much of a "hard alcohol"drinker anymore,but I prefer Scotch(from Scotland) to Bourbon.

Old Guard
12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
MY warrant officer used to only drink Scotch...Describe it's taste, Please...Mixed drink--- give me a frozen Margarita...Scotch plain or on the rocks???

Orlando
12-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Popcorn Sutton's Shine for me

LEAD POISON
12-12-2013, 08:05 PM
At one time, if it was open I drank it.
Now It's diet Coke straight up. Alky on the wagon,16 years now.:D

Jimbo Slice
12-13-2013, 06:07 AM
The only times I ever drank bourbon was when I would celebrate the birth of my children. Each time I went home and poured myself a frosty beer mug full of Crown Royal.

Other then that, I'd have the occasional shot here and there but never really liked the Kentucky whiskeys due to the heavy charcoal flavor. The other night some co-workers were trying to get me to have a shot of Jim Beam Honey (after work hours of course). I graciously refused, but they claim that it is a smooth drinking whiskey.

Old Guard
12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
LP, that Diet Coke will Kill you...I drank it for years, when I was a t-totaler. My second son changed it and I had a bottle in the cabinet with my gun parts..20 years later i am drinking out in the open and sometime the Bh will have a sip too..mainly Margaritas, as whiskey is too harsh for her..I did enjoy the captains cheap champagne on the cruises though..Two a day max..

Old Guard
12-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Popcorn Sutton's Shine for me

They sell this here too..But it was 29.00 a guart, it even has the numbers on the top..owner says it sells well....for white lightning...haven't tryed this brand yet myself..

jak
12-13-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't drink, I don't smoke and the old "ball and chain" won't let me pursue women. I get my "high"
by taking the dog for long walks in the woods or going target shooting.

Prince Humperdink
12-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't drink, I don't smoke and the old "ball and chain" won't let me pursue women. I get my "high"
by taking the dog for long walks in the woods or going target shooting.

Excellent!I used to be a heavy drinker, a 3 pack a day chain smoker,and womanizer.I quit smoking 16(I think)years ago,got married almost 12 years ago and stuck with just her,and I drink beer once or twice a week.

axemurderer
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Should I skip the whole bourbon thing and have gone straight to scotch?

Thanks,
Justin

Justin

I was a Bourbon drinker for years. And still do on occasion. I will put it to you this way, It is a very common practice for the distillers in scotland to buy used Bourbon barrels in Kentucky. They use this to smoke thier malt before it it used in the making of whiskey. they like the way the used wood makes the Scotch taste. So I say cut out the middle man, support a US business that employs Americans, and drink the Bourbon. On a more private not I have 3 bottles of 100 proof bonded Kentucky Taven Burbon in my closet. These bottles are old, the tax stamps read 1957 and the Burbon was 8 years old when bottled. I will drink 1 at my oldeat daughters wedding, the 2nd at my youngest daughters weddind, and the 3rd at my 50th wedding aniversey, or on my death bed if necessary. So drink Bourbon and start a tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

PS; On the rocks or straight no water!

timshufflin
12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
I cannot drink bourbon, whiskey, hard liquor at all. I can barely drink beer as I'm toast on just about two beers. I think I must have an allergy to alcohol.

axemurderer
12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I cannot drink bourbon, whiskey, hard liquor at all. I can barely drink beer as I'm toast on just about two beers. I think I must have an allergy to alcohol.

Tim

That is the second saddest thing I have ever heard.

Mike

jbkf1003
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Tim

That is the second saddest thing I have ever heard.

Mike

Lol. Probably for the best though, we need him to have a steady hand as he chops the receiver legs off our mag fed mini-gs.

I bet your waiting for someone to ask what the first is...

axemurderer
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
No most of us here know what that was!!!!!!!

Mike

axemurderer
12-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Oh and buy the way, Might I also suggest Laird's Apple Jack. A little easier then Bourbon. And a fine product of New Jersey.

Mike

Old Guard
12-17-2013, 10:53 AM

There is just a few people whom are that a way...But most of the time, I do not get much of a mood swing..Nor HIGH on the drinks...I know of some who can get drunk on the first drink....Worked with people whom Drank a Fifth a week, and one plant manager whom drank a fifth a day..Whisky..