PDA

View Full Version : Mini G 18+"?

corpsman
12-15-2013, 05:18 AM
Has this been done? If not, might it?

Punch The Clown
12-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Tim has made them every length from 16.25 give or take(the .25 is to keep the govt. from ever saying you have an NFA non-compliant weapon) and up, but I think to technically be called a MiniG it has to be at the minimum. My mag fed measures 18.25

corpsman
12-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Thank you sir. Having owned a Soccom16, and a Squad Scout, I believe the 18" barrel is better for range and accuracy.

Shug
12-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Have you noticed any difference with muzzle flash with 16" vs. 18"? Just curious.

corpsman
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
No, but that has to do with the muzzle device. From the factory both the Soccom and the Scout have muzzle brakes. These increase flash and noise. The 22" rifles have flash suppressors.

timshufflin
12-16-2013, 12:00 PM
You can go with a standard configuration G with an extended muzzle past the gas lock or you can add the 2" between the lower band and the gas cylinder. Accuracy improvement by having an 18" barrel, I don't think so at least not between a Mini-G or a "tanker".

corpsman
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM
It is not the impact on range and energy that interests me in the 18" length. The interest stems from my daughters self evaluated needs. She is a good competitive shot with target .22's, belongs to her high school JROTC air rifle team and a local junior rifle team. She has a Savage with Williams diopter sights and a 21" heavy barrel. Does well with my Breda. However, she is petite and only 16. Have an 18" FAL she says fits her lengthwise, but she prefers the Garand ergos. So, I am researching options. Had her watch some of Shuff's videos on the mini-G and she was pretty negative about the flash. So we reviewed her experience with the FAL and she concluded 18+" with a flash suppressor would do the trick. She is not intimidated by recoil and typically shoots prone and off hand using a loop sling, coat and glove.
Personally, I need as long a sight radius as is available as my old eyes can focus on the front sight better at 22-24".

timshufflin
12-16-2013, 03:49 PM
For flash, an 18" barrel isn't going to help. Ammo is the biggest common denominator here. I made that rifle flash in the video by both cleaning technique and type of ammo used. For instance my 35 whelen G will flash like crazy with Hornady 200 grain but has no flash with my reload 225 grain very hot reloads. I believe the video was with a slightly wet bore using HXP. That video shows maximum flash.

For the least flash and recoil .308 with a brake is the ticket.

corpsman
12-16-2013, 04:07 PM
For flash, an 18" barrel isn't going to help. Ammo is the biggest common denominator here. I made that rifle flash in the video by both cleaning technique and type of ammo used. For instance my 35 whelen G will flash like crazy with Hornady 200 grain but has no flash with my reload 225 grain very hot reloads. I believe the video was with a slightly wet bore using HXP. That video shows maximum flash.

For the least flash and recoil .308 with a brake is the ticket.

Afraid the brake is out as she has had experience with braked M1A's. Probably did not help that she dislikes the protruding magazine as well. Definitely wants a flash suppressor, preferably a SEI Vortex on a .308 chambering. Dunno if that is possible on a short Garand barrel. She is even more opinionated than her old dad. I think a lot of her perspective is shaped by the traditional .22 rifle training she gets from her junior rifle team.

timshufflin
12-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Afraid the brake is out as she has had experience with braked M1A's. Probably did not help that she dislikes the protruding magazine as well. Definitely wants a flash suppressor, preferably a SEI Vortex on a .308 chambering. Dunno if that is possible on a short Garand barrel. She is even more opinionated than her old dad. I think a lot of her perspective is shaped by the traditional .22 rifle training she gets from her junior rifle team.

You'd be on your own with Smith, I won't do any Smith products. I only offer brakes that thread on the traditional Garand gas lock threads and use the gas screw.

Old Guard
12-17-2013, 10:09 AM
You'd be on your own with Smith, I won't do any Smith products. I only offer brakes that thread on the traditional Garand gas lock threads and use the gas screw.

All good info...